Pirate 4x4 banner

361 - 380 of 463 Posts

·
Registered
4,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #361
After speaking with many many people and a few local techs......they suggested getting a cheap tuner that adjusts tire size......to hopefully help the fuel mileage issue

These Duratracs are listed as being 34.1" tall, but once mounted on the truck I get 33"

I bought a used 42501 Max Energy for cheap and programmed it tonight.......once I know the tire size is dialed in, I will need around with some of the performance levels of the tuner and see what happens

Right now I am at 14.0 mpg and 50,700 miles

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Look at this nasty stuff, after only a week of driving.........Imagine it would otherwise all be going into the motor

I installed the same kit on my ecoboost.

after 10k miles, there is about a drop in there.

I wonder why there is such a discrepancy

·
Registered
4,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #365
Colder weather seems to produce much more condensation and build up in the catch can

The warmer the weather, the less I get on the can.......i still empty it weekly

·
Registered
4,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #366 (Edited)
MPG is hand calc and pretty spot on also with the computer

After I adjusted the tire size and drove 25 miles this morning, my more are up......way up

Should have adjusted the tire size a long long time ago.....i hope the number stay this high

Showing 17+ so far

·
Premium Member
2,518 Posts
Is that MPG your listing hand calculated or just off the screen? When I had my 2013 the screen was consistently high by 1-1.5mpg with all things stock.
mine is both. Sp far i don't think my trip odometer (I reset trip A every fillup or after a multi fill-up trip) has ever been off more then .2 -.3 mpgs. I haven't reset trip B since I bought the truck.....and I reset the average reading every oil change. It gives a pretty good idea of what I'm getting. In the winter I only average about 15.5....in the summer its closer to 16.5

·
Registered
4,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #368 (Edited)
What tires come on a stock 2012 FX4?

My door jam say 275/65R18........but would they have been Wrangler SRA?

If so, looks like these tires were 32.1" tall?

Duratracs are spec'd to be 34.1" tall

Mine measure 33" mounted

·
Registered
4,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #370
How are you liking the catch can and pedal commander with some miles under your belt?
Pedal commander is great, possibly the best add on

The catch can is a necessity, especially during the colder weather months when condensation is the worst

The 3 ounce can does fill up fast, though

·
Registered
4,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #371
now another issue with this truck......

my windshield wipers won't turn off!

Looks like a common problem on these trucks, with a new multifunction switch for like $30

I'll let the dealer deal with it when I take it in for the constant suspension clunking and creaking issue.....appt the last week of May

·
Premium Member
2,518 Posts
now another issue with this truck......

my windshield wipers won't turn off!

Looks like a common problem on these trucks, with a new multifunction switch for like $30

I'll let the dealer deal with it when I take it in for the constant suspension clunking and creaking issue.....appt the last week of May
Mine had that issue. That swap is easy... maybe 10 mins.

·
Registered
4,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #374
Took a long weekend road trip to Missouri.....managed 17.1 mpg highway

With the warmer temps, the catch can is nearly empty..........seems like the colder temps produce a ton a moisture in the CAC

Got back last night and drop the truck off at a local dealer to have the clunking and creaking noise looked at.......

It will be interesting to see what they find..........I have the Premium warranty till May of 2019, that has a $100 deductible

·
Registered
4,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #375
Third dealer was a hit...……….no issues with any of my mods and found (and fixed) a few things, all for $100

The truck will be done this evening or tomorrow morning, the latest

The multi-function switch was faulty and replaced, to cure the ghost wipers

They found a bad ball joint (I believe the lower on the driver side)

They are also performing a TSB for rear pinion/rear driveshaft issue

·
Registered
4,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #376
The dealership called back and said I need front and rear brake pads, ASAP

The truck has 51,000 miles on it?!

My one ton Dodge went 75,000 miles before the front rotors warped and there was still a decent amount of pad life left

Oh well, for $120 they are doing the rear brakes (new pads, rotors turned)

They wanted $450 for front rotors and pads...…..no thanks, I will do that myself this weekend

·
Premium Member
4,549 Posts
I got around 60k out of my front brakes before I realized the pads brakes where metal to metal. Rears are fine so far with 70k

·
Registered
29,931 Posts
meh.

my in laws subaru needed pads and rear rotors at 31K mile. Front pads needed replaced too.

I really think the new shit is way harder on the rear brakes for some reason.

I did the rears on my wagon and the service count was 4 for the rear and only 1 for the front. So 4 sets to 1.
I don't know if they're using the rears harder because we've got ABS to keep it from locking up or what, but it's a trend I've noticed on everything newer.

·
Registered
4,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #379 (Edited)
Truck is back......and is quiet and smooth!

Replaced the driver side lower ball joint and replaced multi-function switch (for the wipers)

Also performed TSB 14-0090, lubed driveshaft splines and adjusted pinion bearing preload

9L3Z-3050-A; Joint
BL3Z-4676-A; Seal
FL3Z-7N357-A; Shim
N800594-S100; Bolt
BC3Z-13K359-BA; Switch
XY-75W140-QL; Oil
BR-1602; Kit

·
Registered
4,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #380
I get the truck back from the dealer, with a fault code? WTF

B10F1

I know for a fact it wasn't there when it was dropped off

I cleared it out, see what happens

Here is the info on the TSB 14-0090 that was performed:

Some 2011-2014 F-150 vehicles built on 1/1/2011 and through 4/1/2014 may exhibit an intermittent click or snap-type noise from the rear axle on initial light acceleration from a stop while in drive or reverse. The noise may also occur on light acceleration after changing direction from drive to reverse, or reverse to drive.

https://ford.oemdtc.com/TSB/14-0090.pdf

361 - 380 of 463 Posts