Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 267 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone make a converison for teh eco tec motors?

·
Registered
306 Posts
that would be a great swap you could run it cheap with the open source stand alone megasquirt. now someone needs to make and adapter.

·
Registered
309 Posts
IF you're going to convert, just go VW diesel. proven, good power, no computer, available, smog exempt (in Kalifornia), conversion kits exist, no R&D!

That's wht I'm doin'

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
170 H.P Ecotec 155 Ft. Lbs Torque
Type: 2.2L I-4
Displacement: 2189 cc (134 ci)
Compression ratio: 10.0:1
Bore x stroke: 86.00 x 94.60mm
Fuel system: sequential fuel injection
Rev Limit: 6000
Block: cast aluminum
Cylinder head: cast aluminum
Intake manifold: composite
Connecting rods: forged powder metal

They are very popular in moon buggies, and sand cars, Usually with turbo.
Theres adaptors for them, I doubt for a suzuki trans though?

Attachments

·
Registered
306 Posts
I would love to put on the cobalt SS motors in a zuk. what a great little motor for this type of truck. All AL. with a roots style blower, mmm bottom end TQ here we come. hell even the NA ss 2.4 ecotec motor makes 174/15x that would be great as well.

2.0L/205-hp supercharged I-4, DOHC, 4 valves/cyl

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Does anyone have any more info on this. maybe bell housing measurements or fly wheel size in compairison to track/kick or sammi trans.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'm waiting for some pictures of Matt's competion buggy to be posted over on the Trail-Gear forum. He has an Ecotech with a hughes transmission.

·
Registered
123 Posts
the ecotech sounds like a very good candidate for a engine swap. if the r&d was done for it and adaptor available i would really look into it.

·
Registered
12,245 Posts
IF you're going to convert, just go VW diesel. proven, good power, no computer, available, smog exempt (in Kalifornia), conversion kits exist, no R&D!

That's wht I'm doin'
dude..........shut up:shaking:
There is more then one way to do something believe it or not. The ecotech is a great motor, what are the specs on the VW? I dont see very many moon buggys running this motor I wonder why? Dont get me wrong I love diesels but I was never impressed with the VWs that people put in samis, I bet an ecto tech powered sami would smoke any VW swapped sami. Oh and if these are so great, prove me worng.:flipoff2:

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
I have been thinking if I was going to do a motor swap into my Samurai, this motor is at the top of my list.

By the way, the newest N/A version of this motor (2007 model year) is as high as 177 HP and 170 ft lbs torque. :eek:

GM is really making some sick motors these days.

Anyone have some hard and fast dimensions on this motor and weights? The older N/A versions are getting pretty cheap as they are hitting junk yards more and more these days.

Basic info at:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Family_II_engine#Ecotec

There are several rear wheel drive transmission options now and many adapters. The most interesting is the Asin family of transmissions. Using the bellhousing from the RWD manual cars should allow you to mate up to a Toyota truck, Isuzu and many similar 4x4 transmissions.

There are adapters for the T5 family of transmissions, and from there you should be able to mate to a Dana 300 or Atlas.

There are also adpaters that convert it to anything that uses the Chevy bolt pattern as used on the V8s. So that open up most all of the automatic trans mission choices. 200R4 would probaby be plenty behind these motors.

Honestly, I most interested in mating this up to the Samurai 5 speed. I think if I used a 150hp or less version of the motor that the transmission and clutch should be able to deal with it.

In the past I had a VW 1.8 gas motor mated to the Samurai 5 speed. That was a 100 HP motor with good torque. I never had any issues with the clutch or transmission. I felt the car still needed more power though. :D It was far better then stock, and I liked it a lot more then the 1600 16 valve choice. (Better torque, less shifting.)

These Ecotec motors are coming down in price, especially the normally aspirated versions. I would like to see some of the dimensions to confirm they will be a good fit.

My simple rule of thumb, don't bother doing a motor swap unless it is going to double your horse power, or if you really love that type of motor. (diesel, turbo, rotary..) All other reasons are void in my humble opinion. (I have done 3 motor swaps and helped with many more.)

Share your info!! Lets see where this takes us.

-Wayne

p.s. My stock motor is making some noises...

·
Registered
142 Posts
Wayne,
One of the guys I work with has three and knows where you can get them used for around $400.00. He's going to take some dimensions for me when he gets home and I'll get back to you with the info.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Here is one of the 177 hp versions for sale on Pirate with a RWD trans:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?p=7238362#post7238362

The newest version:
LNF

Pontiac will offer a Gasoline direct injection version (redubbed Spark Ignition Direct Injection) for use in the 2007 Solstice GXP. Displacement is 2.0 L (1998 cc) with an 86 mm (3.38 in) bore and stroke. Compression is 9.2:1, delivering 260 hp (194 kW) and 260 ft·lbf (353 N·m) of torque. The "Gen II" block is similar to the 2.4 L and also features VVT technology.

:flipoff2:

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Found a weight listed as:
Super charged versions are 300 lbs with everything
N/A versions are 270 lbs with everything.

2.2L is 271 lbs. That's everything including the computer, Harness, a shorty exhaust (no cat), no A/C, and with a power steering pump.

A quote from Tony K here:
The Ecotec is the sh!t. Super clean and light weight. Super simple harness. Clean lines. 1000 different holes for motor mounts, etc. Easy power steering add on. And did I mention it's really light. 238 lbs on my crane scale.

Dimensions:
the Ecotec 2.2-liter is only 665 millimeters long, 642 millimeters wide and just 655 millimeters tall (26.2 x 25.3 x 25.8 inches)

I've noticed that a few applications have all motor accessories at the bottom of the motor. While this looks like great packaging, it may be way to wide for a Samurai frame... Something to check for.

-Wayne

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts

That's wht I'm doin'

Have you ever trail riden behind a diesel? Peeeeeuuuuwwww. Did it once, never again. You are not going to be very popular unless you are the last one in the group.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Found a weight listed as:
Super charged versions are 300 lbs with everything
N/A versions are 270 lbs with everything.

2.2L is 271 lbs. That's everything including the computer, Harness, a shorty exhaust (no cat), no A/C, and with a power steering pump.

A quote from Tony K here:
The Ecotec is the sh!t. Super clean and light weight. Super simple harness. Clean lines. 1000 different holes for motor mounts, etc. Easy power steering add on. And did I mention it's really light. 238 lbs on my crane scale.

Dimensions:
the Ecotec 2.2-liter is only 665 millimeters long, 642 millimeters wide and just 655 millimeters tall (26.2 x 25.3 x 25.8 inches)

I've noticed that a few applications have all motor accessories at the bottom of the motor. While this looks like great packaging, it may be way to wide for a Samurai frame... Something to check for.

-Wayne
Wayne,

These are the dimensions I got.
20" long, 20" wide, height is total of 25" and around 300lbs.

·
Registered
69 Posts
GM conversions are popular in the UK, GM cars were available in the late 80's in RWD with a very short transmission, later FWD engines fit to this. A composite prop can be made to connect to the sammy transfer box, all in all a simple way of getting a bit more power.
I am thinking about putting a 2l ecotec in the racer as it will be a cheap way of getting 170hp+, I could spend the same sort of money on the 16v & have 40hp less & an engine like a grenade with the pin out!

Tim

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Wayne,

These are the dimensions I got.
20" long, 20" wide, height is total of 25" and around 300lbs.
Hmm, I like your dimensions alot more then the others I found online. I wonder is someone measured the length with a front mounted power steering pump or something.

Your 20x20x25 is very similar to the stock 1.3 Suzuki motor when taking intake and exhaust manifolds into account. 20" width is even good between the Sammi frame rails. Heck, even room for a radiator up front.

JpJon, do you know what version of the motor you measured, and what all it had bolted up to it?

So if the size looks good for the engine compartment, and the HP is within the limits of the Suzuki drivetrain (outer limits anyhow), this might just work.

The bad news is that these engines way twice as much as the stock motor, but then again, what doesn't? The good news is that you get about 2.3 times the horse power and 2 times the torque.

The real bad news is this is an OBDII motor, so a smog legal swap will be a pain in the ass here in California. That is the primary reason you don't see many options for the Suzuki 2.0 in the Samurai. Smog legal is a bitch.

I'll start looking into the electronics needs of this motor in a smog legal form.

-Wayne

1 - 20 of 267 Posts