Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 40 of 267 Posts

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Does anyone know what trans people use in their ECOTECH Buggys?
What trans would you like to run? Some choices I have read about:

Power Glide, 200R4, 700R4, Turbo350, T4, T5, VW transaxles, 999 (or is that 909) etc.

The easiest is probably the Asin stuff (I forget the correct name). These transmissions are used by many makes including Saturn, Toyota, Jeep, Volvo, etc.

Most of the above require adapters or bellhousing swaps. Some of these adapters are spendy.

I'm thinking for the Samurai an adapter to the stock trans would make this an interesting choice. Saves big money on trans, tunnel mods, driveshafts, etc. I think the Samurai trans can hold up to the abuse for a year or two...?

-Wayne

·
Registered
266 Posts
Where did you get the tranny info?? I'm looking at doing one also. I can get a 42,000 mile motor for about $500 :eek:

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
The easiest is probably the Asin stuff (I forget the correct name). These transmissions are used by many makes including Saturn, Toyota, Jeep, Volvo, etc.

-Wayne
If you think the Asian trans will work you are in luck, read this thread:
http://bbs.zuwharrie.com/content/topic,60994.0.html
The volvo version has a .688 overdrive and has no computer or wires and has a flanged output, making it adapt to a sami case easily. A friend adapted a tracker T-case to it and I made an adapter to mount a toyota T-case to one that is 1" shorter in length then the stock drivetrain. As far as strength goes, the toyota version of this transmission is used in those toyota campers/box trucks and Supras.

·
Registered
266 Posts
If you think the Asian trans will work you are in luck, read this thread:
http://bbs.zuwharrie.com/content/topic,60994.0.html
The volvo version has a .688 overdrive and has no computer or wires and has a flanged output, making it adapt to a sami case easily. A friend adapted a tracker T-case to it and I made an adapter to mount a toyota T-case to one that is 1" shorter in length then the stock drivetrain. As far as strength goes, the toyota version of this transmission is used in those toyota campers/box trucks and Supras.
YOU HAVE READ MY MIND :D That's the tranny I have on the way right now

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
YOU HAVE READ MY MIND :D That's the tranny I have on the way right now
They are easy to find, the junkyards are full of Volvos. The one I got had a 23spline output that matched the 23 spline toyota T-case, that made mating the two easy. The bellhousings of this series of transmissions are interchangable, so if there is one that mates with this engine an adapter would not be needed

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
The real bad news is this is an OBDII motor, so a smog legal swap will be a pain in the ass here in California. That is the primary reason you don't see many options for the Suzuki 2.0 in the Samurai. Smog legal is a bitch.
What makes the 2.0 smog a royal PITA is the TWU cat in the exhaust - it doesn't fit in between the frame rails right off the header, and you are not allowed to move it (if the ref wants to be picky).

what the refs want to see on an OBDII engine:

1) cat's from original
2) OBDII certified speed sensor
3) vapor controls if any.

Possibly, transmission OBDII certified for that engine.

I'm thinking about tackling this outright next year, if I could find the cats and vapor control system, and let the ref guess on the speed sensor.

·
Registered
266 Posts
One thing I have found out is they make a RWD car. The Solstice (sp) and Skyline, so this might also be a good option to a sammy t-case

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
I'm not sure that the Volvo automatic (Aisin) will work, you will have to do some research on that. I don't think GM uses the Aisin automatics. They do use the Aisin manuals though, and that was the bellhousing swap that would be interesting.

I'm not sure I would be happy with an automatic behind a 4 banger, so have not looked to close at those options. But a 200R4 will bolt up to the motor, and I think I would pick that trans before a Volvo. Lots of good t-case options on that Trans family too.

tdavis - Hmm, I'll have to see what smog legal will require. If they require the trans I would be dead in the water for my plans. I'm mostly interested in this if I can mate it up to the Samurai 5 speed. Being a manual, I'm not sure they would care what the trans is, but we know logic has little to do with the smog laws.

I found the tranny info by doing google searches and reading many threads like this one. I have not confirmed any of this info, and have no part numbers to back them up with fact. Some old threads are flat out wrong though as to what will bolt up. Seems many people confused the ecotec's with their older cousins that have a different bolt pattern, higher weights and lower power levels.

These motors have been in North America since 2000. There is a fair amount of info on them scattered around the internet. It just a matter of finding it.

-Wayne

·
Registered
266 Posts
Well I just ordered my 2.2l eco motor. Will be here Tuesday. What did the 200r4 tranny come out of?? I'm thinking about getting the RWD tranny out of the Solstice (manual 5-speed) for this swap (I would just have to have a manual for this swap, can you save side step :evil:) So when it gets here I will post pics and some good measurements.

·
Registered
306 Posts
The shifter location on the solstice trans is ALL the way at the rear, make sure you get measuments for it so that the shifter does not end up in a bad spot.

also it would really easy to get the 2.4 to run on megasqirt stand alone and that would be tits for tuning and adjustment and a super small wire harnes. oh man if the solstice trans would work it would one hell of a drive train for a zuk.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Doing a little research on transmission options right now.

The Aisin trans that GM uses is the AR5, and it is rated for 225 ft lbs. That means they will have to upgrade transmissions for the new DI version.
Gear ratios:
1 2 3 4 5 R
3.75 2.26 1.37 1.00 0.73 3.67

Available in:
# 2006– Pontiac Solstice
# 2007– Saturn Sky

Many of the Aisin transmissions use a bellhousing that adapts the transmission to different engines. There are some great threads around regarding this. I know of several Isuzu's running around with Toyota t-cases as a result of this. Here is a listing of some of their transmissions:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Aisin_transmissions

You will want to confirm which are compatible. And any changes in the input shaft.

Notice the Grand Vitara uses the AW5 and an AR5 (yes a version of the same transmission.) for you Suzuki purists. :flipoff2:

You will have to do your homework to make sure this is a good method.

Here are some pics of a Ecotec to Chevy V8 adpater plate, and a Tremec transmission bolted up to it.

-Wayne

Attachments

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Notice the Grand Vitara uses the AW5 and an AR5 (yes a version of the same transmission.) for you Suzuki purists.

You will have to do your homework to make sure this is a good method.
Already done some of the homework. The bellhousing from a 4 door tracker (4-speed auto) bolts on to the volvo auto. This allows you to bolt a non-computer controlled overdrive transmission to a 1.6 or 2.0 in a tracker or samurai. Not really a big deal for a trail rig but the OD will come in handy on a sami driven on the street

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Well I just ordered my 2.2l eco motor. Will be here Tuesday. What did the 200r4 tranny come out of?? I'm thinking about getting the RWD tranny out of the Solstice (manual 5-speed) for this swap (I would just have to have a manual for this swap, can you save side step :evil:) So when it gets here I will post pics and some good measurements.
200r4 tranny on an Ecotec requires an adapter it seems.
http://transmissionadapters.com/Old's%20Alero.htm

Also note the power steering pump mounted to the cam on the back of the engine. This is an option for these motors. I'd guess something we don't want.

I also forgot to mention that the exhaust is on the wrong side of the engine. I'm used that that though. Easy enough to cross over above the bellhousing.

-Wayne

Attachments

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Already done some of the homework. The bellhousing from a 4 door tracker (4-speed auto) bolts on to the volvo auto. This allows you to bolt a non-computer controlled overdrive transmission to a 1.6 or 2.0 in a tracker or samurai. Not really a big deal for a trail rig but the OD will come in handy on a sami driven on the street
Yes, but what does that have to do with the Ecotec motor? The AR5 is a manual 5 speed Aisin transmission used in the Grand Vit and the Soltice/Skyline. So chances are good a bellhousing swap will work if you wanted to go that route. (Easy t-case and gearing options.)

I have not looked into the automatics much as they tend to be more work, and not really something I'm interested in for the vehicle I'm dreaming up.

Please do keep us posted on any developments. I have been following the automatic swap thread on Zuu as I enjoy that kind of stuff. I have also followed very similar threads regarding Jeeps, Toyotas and Isuzus. (Heck I have a Mitsubishi mated up to Toyota W56 trans.) An Isuzu buddy has a GM motor and a Jeep trans feeding his Toy axle that is steered by a Scout box. Poor guy has some sort of identity crisis going. :grinpimp:

-Wayne

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
How about the stock rear wheel drive automatic, Hydra-Matic 5L40-E Transaxle:

In the 2006 model year, an optional Hydra-Matic 5L40-E five-speed automatic transmission became available.
Type: five-speed rear-wheel-drive, electronically controlled automatic overdrive transmission with torque converter clutch.

Engine Range: 1.8L-3.6L

Max Gearbox Torque: 494 lb.-ft.

Weight: 182 lbs.

Assembly Site: Strasbourg, France

Applications: Cadillac; CTS, STS, SRX, Pontiac Solstice, Saturn Sky

------------

Or the stock rear wheel drive Aisin AR5:
Type: rear wheel drive, five-speed manual transmission.

Engine Range: 2.8L-3.5L

Max Gearbox Torque: N/A

Weight: 107 lbs.

Applications: Chevrolet Colorado, GMC Canyon, Hummer H3, Pontiac Solstice, Saturn Sky

Attachments

·
Registered
266 Posts
NICE!! I too today found the Tremec and that 200r4 tranny adapter today :smokin:

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Wayne, if the tranny between the GV and Solstice is the same.. that would solve the VSS/tranny problem for California emissions.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
And what about this for EASY installation :eek:

Can we say SIDEDRAFTS!!!!:D
Can we ask why you would want to do side drafts? Especially for how much money they want just for that manifold? Probably piss away 10% of the power of the motor, a lot more for the VVT versions.

I saw someone advertising customized Ecotec wire harnesses for under $300. Makes me think they aren't that bad to wire. (Same guy wanted around $500 for a Honda harness.)

-Wayne

21 - 40 of 267 Posts