Pirate 4x4 banner

61 - 76 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Sorry, do I need a ECU out of a CARB TRUCK in order for truck to run right! I have a 22r carb motor w/22RTE ECU. If I replaced my Turbo ECU w/ a ECU out of a carb truck would that be the fixer to my issue.
I don't think you are going to find anywhere to plug your harness into that webber you have. Your motor doesn't require a computer anymore as you have made it carborated. Not sure on the auto trans though.
I have no Idea what ecu you are trying to find, but if you give me a part number or tell me what truck its in I will gladly trade it to you for turbo ecu.
I have more then a few computers laying around, but none for 22rte. PM me if you want to

·
Web Wheeler For Hire
1,889 Posts
Did the Toyota ever have an electronic carb version? Some cars had these to use an O2 sensor and meet EPA regs before EFI technoigy was ready.

I know my sons 1985 Toy had a mile of vacuum hoses and switches to make the EPA regs, then an 86 EFI system we installed had barley any!

Here's a link if interested to good writeup on how to convert the Toyotos ECM on a turbo to a Tuneable GM ECM that came with turbo.
http://home.metrocast.net/~shannen/yota/22RTE/GM_ECM/gmecm.html

·
Registered
83 Posts
So if I understand correctly a 89661-35050 or a 89661-35070 will work with the '87 22re I'm putting in my currently carb'd '84 ? :homer:

The 22re is out of an auto 4runner and I can only seem to find auto ECU's, so all I have to do is connect the shifter wires? And will the fly wheel on from the auto work? Just want every thing to go smooth lol:flipoff2:

·
Wicked Raciest !
17,734 Posts
So if I understand correctly a 89661-35050 or a 89661-35070 will work with the '87 22re I'm putting in my currently carb'd '84 ? :homer:

The 22re is out of an auto 4runner and I can only seem to find auto ECU's, so all I have to do is connect the shifter wires? And will the fly wheel on from the auto work? Just want every thing to go smooth lol:flipoff2:
Autos do not have a "flywheel" they use a "flex plate" that the torque converter bolts to, hence that becomes the "flywheel" on an auto.

Yes that is all you have to do to the ECU.:grinpimp:

·
Registered
83 Posts
Thank you sir!
It didn't look quite strong enough to hold up to a clutch to me lol good thing I ordered a flywheel :smokin:

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
if you use a auto computer in a manual you have to hook the shifter wires together. to get it to start.
which wires r these?

im gonna put an 87 2wd 22re and harness (had column shifter) in my 74 hilux. im using a 84 manual 4wd trans, and steering column from 86 4wd...

any foreseeable electronic problems with this setup?

not too concerned with the gauges and sensors as im going to unravel and reuse the 74 harness to retian the stock dash...(if this is not possible please speak up)

also please dont ask y im putting a smog motor in a no smog rig... its what i got and it was free!:flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
i kno this thread is ancient but my question is urgent...
any info helps....
which shifter wires do i need to splice together for it to start?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Also, make sure your truck is a true 85. I have got an 85 Toyota, with a 22RE and IFS. Looked at the manufacture date and its 86. Technically the body is an 86 but maybe the engine is an 85?. Didn't get an ECU with it. Going to find out what was in it and what worked and ill update. My buddy pulled the ECU to test it in his runner and lost it somewhere. I'll figure it out tomorrow if it worked.

Was out at a wrecking yard today and there was an 87 toyota missing engine and such. Didn't look like it had much wiring under the hood either so im guessing it was carbed? Had a Emissions Control computer where the ECM's normally are. Not an actual ECM. Thought it was kinda weird. Had a single plug on it instead of the 3.

Im looking for an ECM though if anyone has one they would let go for cheap too. A 35070 if anyone has one.

Found this at Yotatech and figured I would contribute.

·
Registered
409 Posts
My buddies 1985 extra cab 22re 4x4 with automatic has a 89661-35020
My 1987 4runner with 22re 5speed and cruise has a 89661-35070

My ecm was acting up so i put my buddies 1985 89661-35020 ecm in my 4runner and the runner runs great,been in the runner a few days with no codes.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Baaaack from the dead
Anyone got a pinout for the ecu setup listed in the bible for 22re swaps??
I need to find where vb on the afm goes,following it back to my ecu, it goes to fpu (guessing trigger for the cor?)
Forcrawler lists it (the vb terminal) as power into the afm...

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Thanx
After going thru the fsm sections a few times That's what I dug up.
Fukker still aint right.
Did Not find a pinout listing vb but 1 pic of the afm showed it .
Thank rodger for the writeup

61 - 76 of 76 Posts