Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '80 CJ5 that I've owned for 15 years. Did a frame up resto on it about 10 years ago, so it's about time for another (Damn-it) :mad3: .

Anyways, I bought a Edelbrock Performer Intake and a Model 1406 Carb and recently installed these in an effort to solve my never ending carb issues.

I know that opinions are like assholes (everyone has one), but I need some assistance "dialing 'er in". It runs, but it is clearly not running at optimum.

I live at 8,000 ft above sea level, so I had it jetted prior to bolting it on. I am looking for input on what the best way to "fine-tune" thius thing is. Do you guys suggest using a vacum gauge? I'm smart on about everything but this carb crap. Please enlighten as though you were talking to a Carb-challenged indiv. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
80 Posts
try to borrow a portable AF tester if you can. Odds are, at the high altitudes, the thinner air might be causing a rich condition. If you cant adjust the jet screws to lean it up enough, maybe try smaller jets. Yep, less power now, but it'll run better. the higher up you go, the more displacement is needed for the same amount of power.... except w/ power adder and forced induction.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Those 2 screws on the front are not mixture screws. Well they are but only for the idle curcuit. So unscrewing those only makes it run rich at idle and foul out the plugs. You need to get a stoich and behappy with it.

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
adjust the mixure screws untilyou have the highest idle....then lower the idle to where you want it. there are better ways but this way is quick and easy.

you can also adjust the accelorator pump ratio....move it around and this will help fix the off idle stumple...

also take the top off of the carb...there is a transfer slot in the back. block it so it does not work. this will increase he angle it will run without flooding the opposite side.

one more thing is to lower the float.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I had one of those bastards, never could get it right !!
put it in the trash, and put a Q-JET on !! It's the only carb that seems to work for me !!

FLash back !! Tellico 1990 or so , JEEP JAMBOREE. just put my sb 350 in, nice new edelbrock carb. looked ever so nice in my 1988 YJ.
first morn. out, Gaurd rail, that pc of [email protected] edelbrock carb wouldn't keep my junk running for nothing !! you know I use to set up carbs for a lot of the circle track guy's round here, and thought i was fair at the carb. thing !!
but i NEVER could get the Edelbrock to run good off road !!

but then again Im a old man and what do we know !!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts