Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Planning on switching out my stock length frt springs with some longer units from All Pro. I currently have 4" lifted stock length units but the 35's keep smashing the rear portion of the front wheel well. The body is too nice to cut (start flamming here). Whatever.......so I want some longer units to push the axle forward, question is how will this affect the shock mounts, as in will I have to refab them for a inch or so of forward movement in the axle? Also how will the Hi Steer I have react to such a move? After your done flamming my pretty body comments some advice would be appreciated dudes. Later.

·
Wicked Raciest !
17,735 Posts
I currently have 4" lifted stock length units but the 35's keep smashing the rear portion of the front wheel well. The body is too nice to cut (start flamming here).

The tires will still hit the body, tub the firewall and cut the back of the fenders

so I want some longer units to push the axle forward, question is how will this affect the shock mounts, as in will I have to refab them for a inch or so of forward movement in the axle?

You should, shocks working at a side angle can cause premature wear on one side of the bushing/seals and they will start leaking

Also how will the Hi Steer I have react to such a move?

Your drag link may end up over the top or a bit behind the tie-rod and on compression will cause the DL to hit the TR. It all depends on where the spring pin placement is on the springs and how your bump stops are set-up.

If you do not move the front spring mout forward, your shackle angle will suck or the shackle may lay flat againest the frame

If you do not want to hack the body up and least take a BFH and beat the seams flat in the wheelwells, the tires may still rub on the bottom of the fenders, mine did when I was running 35 MTR's & BFG's. Remember on stuff your axle moves back.

·
Registered
12,164 Posts
along with the longer springs you can use some spring relocating pads , you will probably need to move your steering box into the rad support otherwise you are going to have some steering issues

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
I went with 44044s in the front of my 1981. Like you, they'd bind during full flex, in a turn.. To recenter them, I simply offset the spring perch. How much do you need to move 'em? Add adequate bump stops also.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
By reading this I can see that other than hacking the body there really is no one good solution to getting rid of rubber smacking the body. Seems like longer leaf springs are too much trouble. I might have to get a good body man to hack on mine a little then. Thanks for the info.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts