Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an '85 Jeep CJ-7, with an unknown year 304. I recently installed an affordable fuel injection classic system, which is similar to the Howell system. Basically an early '90s GM throttle body injection system. As part of it, I installed a large cap distributor, with the coil on cap. Got it all installed, timing set at 0*, and it starts and runs great. After several minutes of running, whether that's just idling in the driveway or cruising down the road, it suddenly dies. No warning, no sputter, simply cuts off. Check engine light comes on immediately since the engine is not running but the key is on. Tach drops immediately as it's coming directly off the distributor. Engine will not restart, until the key is turned off for only 10-20 seconds, then it starts and runs perfectly again for several more minutes.
The first time it happened, was idling in the driveway while warning up to do the throttle plate adjustment procedure, and was weird but I dismissed it. Then it happened on my shakedown drive, and happened 3 more times before I got home. The last time I just pushed in the clutch, turned the key off while still rolling, counted to 15, and restarted it without even stopping.
I contacted AFI, and they sent me an entirely new computer. Yesterday I installed the new computer and was about to take it for a drive when it happened in my driveway while idling. Was able to recreate it several more times after that. Never a code in the computer. Fuel pump can be heard running for a couple seconds after it dies. It seems to be getting more frequent, with less time between occurrences the more times it happens.
It's the weekend, so I'm trying to diagnose this while I have time and brain power to think about it. It has to be something electrical. I'd love some help figuring out what. I'm leaning towards it being some intermittent possibly heat related issue in the ignition module. This is inside the distributor, and is a 7 terminal variety. Not knowing much about these large cap ignitions, I'm not sure how to test anything else, other than just starting to swap parts and hoping that fixes it. Any help or experience is appreciated.

·
P.B.A.
4,343 Posts
I may not be much help but I had a tbi Chevy that would Die once the ignition module in distributor got up to temp. Would restart in a minute or so.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For the record it anyone searching later, it was the ignition module that was the problem. Mine is the 7 terminal version which I had to order, but simple to replace and runs like a top now.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts