Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have an 87 efi 4runner.
intermittent promlem is: when diving in 2nd or 3rd gear on the pavement under heavy acceleration I can sometimes feel the power change noticably about halfway though the powerband. it doesn't feel like it's boggin' at the low end . the power just changes ?????
another problem that i believe may be related
- cruisin' down the highway under moderate load( 4rth or 5th gear) and the engine seems like it chokes for just a second . it doesn't die and i don't have to stop or slow down , the engine just loses power for a split second.

any suggestions would be great.

here's what i've aready changed trying to get this darn thing to run corectely; ECM, distributor, ignitor, coil, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fuel filter, fuel pump, battery and cables, temp sensor, cleaned throttle body

not much left!!!

·
Premium Member
22,080 Posts
crashed said:

should i just change the tps or are they adjustable??
I am feeling particularly lazy, so I am gonna have to say search for the instructions... but yes, you can adjust it.

Roger Brown (the last I checked) had some excellent instructions on his site for that purpose. His user ID escapes me at the moment, but I know it has something to do with 4Runner.

Edit: And unless you like to throw money around... you don't want to replace it if you don't have too.

·
Registered
110 Posts
The TPS once its adjusted doesnt need any further adjustment. Try this, Remove it and spray the back with brake cleaner youll notice its movment is no longer "gummy". Reinstall it and adjust it with your ohm meter. and your timing should advance properly. Im surprised that you replaced the distributer with out checking the timing first. If your timing is right on and advances properly your TPS is prolly fine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts