Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just swaped in an EFI motor (that I rebuilt about 2 years back, I sold and was running fine before PO rolled it) and harness. Its got a couple problems that before I dive into wanted to bounce off you guys.

1, Its a hard start, cranks for a LONG time, like it flods then fires up, TPS? Timing? I had to play mix and match with intake pieces after the other one got crushed in the rollover.

2, The exhaust manifold is RED hot (noticed in the dark) could this also be timing too advanced/retared producing ALOT of heat under the hood IMOP

3. High Idle, I havent hooked the tach up yet, but it quiets down after it runs for a while and warms up Fully, but still feels like it should idle lower.
thanks!
:smokin:

·
Marlin Crawler, Inc.
1,443 Posts
1. How are your main grounds (engine/chassis)? See comments below.

2. Red hot exhaust is usually an indication of very retarded timing or very bad misfire, where raw unburned fuel mixture is not combusting until during or after the exhaust stroke, at which point the combustion is occurring in the exhaust manifold.

3. When you say high idle, are you saying more than 2k rpm? See comments below.

Comments below: :D

First, instead of asking, just check your timing. Its easy enough to do with a timing light or visually by checking the marks and removing the cap from the distributor (if needed).

If your check engine light is hooked up and functional, is it reporting any codes?

You came to a good place to get this troubleshooted, but I'll warn you right now that your description leaves open A LOT of holes, so you will get a lot of suggestions. Try to do the more obvious ones first to save time. Sounds like you've got more than just a couple things to do.

BigMike

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sory I know it was a bit of an opended loaded question...

I just needed a starting point. I am a little frazzeled from doing the EFI swap itself. Few missing parts, and lots of wires that I didnt think I needed leads to some headaches. I am picking up a timing light tomorow. I do not have any codes as of yet. And I will also be doing a valve adjustment this might help some too.
thanks Mike!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have an FSM, thats how I got it wired right. But like I said (and I guessed right) it was more than one problem.

Quick update: I did a valve adjustment, and got it timed correctly. My suspisons were correct, it was WAY out. Got it back to 8deg then lowered the idle with the screw on the EFI snout. Sounds almost normal now.

Next question, I seam to have an occasional back fire and a bit of a lag right off idle. Would tightening up a couple valves too much cause this?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nope, no converter, and a brand new exhaust system, 2.25in tube all the way from the manifold flange back.

·
Registered
274 Posts
i just put lc engineering headers on my truck and it runs WAY more hot then ever before.so im kinda in the same boat.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts