Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 185 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the buildup thread for my very close friend, Jonathan Efird, who was killed in a bonfire accident recently. Here is a link to a thread we posted about the tragedy....
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=752446&highlight=fellow+wheeler

Efird had a very large group of close friends, myself and the rest of "the crew" greatly enjoyed wheelin, espically in TOYOTA's:) Before Efird passed he had an '86 Turbo toyota pickup that he was in the planning and parts collecting stages of building into a rockcrawler. The crew and myself have decided to build the truck just the way he wanted it. It was a unanimous decision amongst all his friends to do this in a way to honor and remember him. The truck also has a lot of sentimental value to his father and when finished, he is going to take it wheelin' with the crew.

Here are a few pics of Efirds previous toyota,
1990 4 runner with leaf sprung yota axles, locked front and rear, back half cut off into a small bed, full exo, running 38in boggers...

DSC01290.JPG

DSC01291.JPG

DSC01293.JPG

DSC01296.JPG

Here are the proposed specs of the truck..

1986 toyota pickup turbo 22re
- 2 1/2 ton rockwells u-joint style
- 49" IROKS on 16in beadlocks
- custom 4 link with Air shocks
- Toyota 5 speed with/ dual yota t-cases with 4.7's in the back case
- Interior roll cage with 5 point harness
- dovetailed and possibly bobbed bed
- extended wheelbase to have perfect approach/departure angles

We have most of the parts for the build, there are however a few that we still need to purchase, any donations and/or discounts would be greatly appreciated in order to help us build the truck correctly.
These are the parts needed..

- Some kind of wheel disc brake kit for the front rockwell or tips on how to homemake something that will work and be reliable. The wheels are 16" not sure of the backspacing though

- 2 air shocks - 18"

- Full hydro steering for front axle only, arms, pump, cylinder, lines, valve, ect.. or kit of some kind

- 8 jonny joints, 9/16 or 5/8 prefferably, we can make anykind of joint work if need be

- Front and rear winches

These are all the parts I can think of at the moment, I'll post more when we figure out what we have.

·
Premium Member
2,716 Posts
help

need anything I will try to help just p.m. me. sorry for the loss hope the truck will help seal a unfinished chapter for all of his freinds and family

·
Registered
34,267 Posts
you might suck at getting the motivation to build your truck:D, but you sure do nice things for people here my friend!
It's what I do:emb2::emb2:

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
you might suck at getting the motivation to build your truck:D, but you sure do nice things for people here my friend!
agreed... It'd be great to see other vendors step up. As someone who lost their best friend also, it's nice to see unexpected people step up in amazing ways. It rejuvenates your faith in humanity.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Justin, Andy, Statler and myself picked up Efird's truck from his parents today. Thanks to Jacob and Adam Stirewalt for bringing over the tractor and skid steer to help move the axles. We took the truck to Andy's shop and we plan to start cutting out the old suspension tomorrow.
shop pics 316.jpg
shop pics 318.jpg
shop pics 317.jpg
shop pics 310.jpg
shop pics 314.jpg

·
Registered
802 Posts
Hey guys this is awesome!I think i have met yall before wheeling in uwharrie and had talked to jonathan about buying his 4runner he was a cool guy!His family is in my prayers.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Should be an awesome build. Sorry to hear about your friend. I hope his father enjoys the truck as much as Jonathan would have.

·
Registered
37 Posts
The build starts tonight!!! Here are a few pictures of the truck in its stunningly stock form..

DSC01799.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

·
Registered
295 Posts
I'm sorry for the loss of your friend. I will be watching this build. Good luck.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Come on statty where's the pics from last night?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Here are the pictures from last night. We got the back of the frame cut off, and all the IFS and brackets torched off and grounded down smooth...

Removing the gas tank
DSC01803.jpg

DSC01806.jpg

A few members of the crew.. Garrett(dixierods), Myself, Josh(muddin28yota)
DSC01807.jpg

Garrett doing a little torching
DSC01809.jpg

·
Registered
37 Posts
Justin and Garrett removing the rear axle
DSC01812.jpg

DSC01814.jpg

IFS removed
DSC01816.jpg

Garretts best side
DSC01810.jpg

·
Registered
37 Posts
Josh torching off IFS brackets
DSC01822.jpg

DSC01825.jpg

Justin Grinding the frame smooth
DSC01826.jpg

Not much to say about this except a picture is worth a thousand words...
DSC01827.jpg

·
Registered
37 Posts
DSC01829.jpg

DSC01830.jpg

The finished product
DSC01832.jpg

1 - 20 of 185 Posts