Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While my carb still out getting rebuilt, I decided to go ahead and do my manifold gasket and I was fairly sure it was leaking a bit (@154K). Once I finally got it off-wow-was there ever a leak(several)...I can't believe it ran so well with it that way. Anyway....

Along with that and all the other misc work needed when you do that, I'm going to go ahead and replace the EGR gasket too as I heard a slight tick developing prior to all of this. I was able to get the pipe nuts off, but it was getting dark and I needed to stop (I DID mention that I have no garage and I'm working from/on the ground didn't I? Friggen burr.)

Does the whole pipe need to come off to get it down far enough to replace the gasket? If so, what is the size of the large nut going into the cooler on the other end? Anything else I'm forgetting or should know?

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Cruc, who is hoping his carb finally comes back before our first winter storm this weekend, Cruc

·
Registered
7,084 Posts
I never take the large nut off the cooler, simply unbolt the cooler from the block, 3 14 mm head bolts I think, then lower it as a unit, replace the gasket.
BTW the EGR cooler is the thing with the fins on it.
Butch

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for responding Texican-that helps things a bit (as long as the cooler bolt doesn't brea that is :p)

Will try today and tomorrow if I can-friggen winter storm on the way.

Cruc

·
Registered
133 Posts
I just did this on a FJ60. It probably is easier on a FJ40. (more room).

The EGR cooler has 2 bolts. The two biggest ones. take those off along with the 2 egr pipe nuts. (USE your Extenstions for your socket) You should be able to giggle the pipe connector (where egr gasket is) off. Take out old blown out gasket put new one in. Carefully giggle it bake in and put in nuts and bolts. If for some reason you have trouble getting it back in...Take a deep breath, or walk away and then come back and finesse it back in. If that does not work you might have a bracked that looks like a muffler clamp but smaller holding on to the part of the egr pipe that is like flexible pipe going to the EGR cooler. take that off to get more movement to get the egr pipe back on to where the EGR gasket is. Remeber to take deep breaths. I have done this job in 20 minutes start to finish and 2 hours and 45 minutes start to finish. The longer time is because of lack of patience on my part.

G'd Luck
zach v

1 - 4 of 4 Posts