Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Moo 2 U
3,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
put the rear axle back togather. made upgrades and switched to disc. sorry i dont have any pics of the tear down and some of the other work - dont worry, it wasnt exciting either :p

parts:

• IFS toy axle out of an 87 4runner - drain plug shaved and welded up. housing rust removed and repainted flat black.
  • 4cyl 8" toy diff with 4.10 gears. stock carrier removed and replaced with full spool (spool install done by Ed (aka -Rock Taxi)
  • 2 Disc brake calipers for a 1980's (forget the year) Montecarlo (also pins and other hardware)
  • brake shoes/pads to match calipers
  • Chevy Light 4x4 front discs (enlarged centers) - from sky mfg.
  • caliper brackets painted neeto-shiny red - also from sky mfg.
  • Allpro chromo shafts

Attachments

·
Moo 2 U
3,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
drain plug smoothed. - its smoother than it looks. that camera's flash is crazy. where it looks like its discolored to a light gray is from the intense flash action - which also made the drain plug area stand out even more than it is.

Attachments

·
Moo 2 U
3,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
heres the calipers not fitting on the brackets - its all due to that little knob there in the middle. dont know why its even there - i guess for style points. it gets ground down and then they fit all nice. :D

Attachments

·
Moo 2 U
3,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
and its done. i still have to do brake lines, weld nuts on to the bottom 2 studs, and a breather for the diff - but other than filling it with oil and hooking everything back up - i'm done with the rear axle.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
How much for the brake switcharoo?

How much for just the brackets?

I'm thinking I can just buy the rotors here and have them machined. Also, buy the calipers here. Then, all I'll need is the brackets.

Yer axle looks awesome. Good job on the drain plug shave.

·
Moo 2 U
3,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
85runnerAZ said:
How much for the brake switcharoo?

How much for just the brackets?

I'm thinking I can just buy the rotors here and have them machined. Also, buy the calipers here. Then, all I'll need is the brackets.

Yer axle looks awesome. Good job on the drain plug shave.
brackets from sky mfg. are 75.00 a pair - there are cheaper ones, but the AA ones have to be modified to fit. i didnt want to screw with it.

dont remember what the whole thing costs off the top of my head. have had the parts for awhile - but needed the spool installed before i could progress.

i was going to buy the rotors local and have them machined out - but i couldnt get the correct rotors from the asshats at auto zone. after dicking me around with wrong-part bullshit for a few go-arounds (i think i even brought them a part number i found posted here) - i could not get them to procure me the correct ones. fed up with it - i just ordered them already done from sky. plus i didnt have any cores for the core charge on the rotors and so price for the rotors + labor was getting pretty close to the cost of sky's + shipping. i went the headache free route.

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
For the bottom drain bolts, just grab some 8mm-1.25 threaded bolts about an inch long to replace the studs. Welding to them and then grinding them so that you can get the 10mm socket on the studs sucks. :)

·
Banned
9,402 Posts
r0ckRnr said:
heres the calipers not fitting on the brackets - its all due to that little knob there in the middle.
Nice Pictures

Just wanted to say this is REAL common. One of my calipiers had that casting nub and my other one didn't...Go figure. Anyway, grinding that nub off does not affect the calipier in anyway and you did the right thing. We (Sky and I) thought about modifing the bracket for this but we felt it was not worth weaking the bracket for this un-neccesary casting nub.

·
Moo 2 U
3,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
TNToy said:
For the bottom drain bolts, just grab some 8mm-1.25 threaded bolts about an inch long to replace the studs. Welding to them and then grinding them so that you can get the 10mm socket on the studs sucks. :)
brilliant. thanks :D

·
Moo 2 U
3,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
4RnrRick said:

Nice Pictures

Just wanted to say this is REAL common. One of my calipiers had that casting nub and my other one didn't...Go figure. Anyway, grinding that nub off does not affect the calipier in anyway and you did the right thing. We (Sky and I) thought about modifing the bracket for this but we felt it was not worth weaking the bracket for this un-neccesary casting nub.
yeah i was aware of having to grind on the calipers slightly to get them to fit on the brackets before i started. i expected more work than i actually had to do. i wouldnt change the brackets for that.

·
Moo 2 U
3,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
mobil1syn said:
what rims are you running and what is the BS?
i'm having some 15x9 double beadlocks being made by john (johns351c) right now. i think the backspacing will be around 2.5"

heres the "d window" design that i'm getting.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
16,324 Posts
Chad said:
Wasnt' somebody just saying about 2.5" backspacing wheels hitting calipers on the rear disc conversions?
thats why i asked ... we shall see what happens. the thing that might matter is that they are coming from john and 4wp or someone like that

·
Moo 2 U
3,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Chad said:
Wasnt' somebody just saying about 2.5" backspacing wheels hitting calipers on the rear disc conversions?
heres from the post you are reffering to.

I had the same problem and ground my calipers to fit but ended up running spacers. The problem arises from the fact that most 2.5" backspaced wheels are merely reversed centers so the "front" part of the wheel is now the "back" and smaller in diameter so the problem doesn't come up with normal backspacing
since they are being custom made and not modified versions of a different backspaced wheel - i dont think i'll have issues.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts