Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
16,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Becuase of the sheer importance of the meeting last week I started a new thread. PLEASE PASS THIS ON!!!

At the meeting it was made clear that there WILL be closures. Many areas will be listed as WILDERNESS. Which means ALL roads will be closed in that area. If you are a hunter that would even mean you could not have a deer cart if it is wheeled. :shaking: Snowmobiles would also be affected. The two areas on the map, Meiss Meadows and Caples creek are the areas being designated.

Strawberry Trail would NOT be closed, it would be like Deer Creek where both sides of the road are closed to everyone, but the trail would not.

However, MANY roads and campsites which have been in use for YEARS will be bouldered off. Please examine the map and look at the amount of trails/roads being closed.

WHAT YOU CAN DO:

You can get 1 on 1 appointment (you have to make one) to plead your case to have a road or campsite unlisted. These appointments will start on the 19th of this month. They will be at 100 Forni road in Placerville. I do not currently have the phone#, but I will post it here ASAP.

IT IS MANDATORY THAT AS MANY PEOPLE AS POSSIBLE SET UP THESE APPOINTMENTS. Otherwise this is just the first domino that falls. YOUR favorite playground could be next.

Please kkep in mind the closures are more than what is just listed, the areas surrounded in blue are just designated as wilderness. ALL of Silverfork road's primitive campsites have been red posted. Which means you cannot drive into them as well as drive down many other roads that are not #'d

·
Registered
768 Posts
Is this a seperate project from the route designation? It seems even more restrictive. For example, 17E51, 17E71, & 17E20 in the Jake Schneider Meadow area are within this closure, but on the route designation map they are listed as OHV trails. I don't get this.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Slowmo,

I suspect you're refering to the motor vehicle restriction map published last summer. This is an interim map to show what trails are open based on the court order. The result of the Route Designation project is likely to be a subset of what's on the motor vehicle restriction map.

Fred

·
16,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
SlowMo said:
Is this a seperate project from the route designation? It seems even more restrictive. For example, 17E51, 17E71, & 17E20 in the Jake Schneider Meadow area are within this closure, but on the route designation map they are listed as OHV trails. I don't get this.
There areas surrounded in blue are slated to be marked WILDERNESS. Just like Desolation Wilderness north of hwy 50.

That means IN ADDITION to the route closures, these ENTIRE areas will be shut off to ALL wheeled vehicles. All those roads (17E51, 17E71 etc.) will be CLOSED PERMENTLY. You would also need a wilderness permit to camp in those areas.

·
16,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I signed that petition, but all this info needs to get out ASAP and to as many people as possible. Esp. in CA

It is discouraging that you only see 11-12 people looking at the land use issues board, but 100+ in chit chat. More people need to see that petition. If the 4x4 community does not get it's act together will be in deep trouble.

I beg all of you to pass it on, PM people you know and mass e-mail that petition out......

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
Kurtuleas said:
It is discouraging that you only see 11-12 people looking at the land use issues board, but 100+ in chit chat. More people need to see that petition. If the 4x4 community does not get it's act together will be in deep trouble.
QUOTE]

Sorry to say, visit ANY Off Road BBS that has a LU section and you will
see the same thing.

·
16,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well...

VERY few people actually attended the one-on-one meetings and it looks like we are really FAWKED.:mad3:

Looks like ALL primitive campsites on Silverfork road, Morman Immigrant Trail (Iron mt. road) and surrounding areas will be banned for motorized vehicles. You will have to park ON PAVEMENT (or on the dirt road) and walk in to the campsite.

The people were really nice in the meeting, and listened to all our complaints, but it just looks like a lost cause. As for the "wilderness" designation, it is out of the forest service hands and we have to take it up with Boxer and Feinstein (good luck):mad3:

·
Registered
271 Posts
Cody Meadow

I was just up there this last weekend and what an awesome area.:cool2: You can see Nevada, Kirkwood, Caples Lake, Hwy.88 from one side and go 10 mins to the north and view deselation,Strawberry, Cody Lake, an awesome slide behind Sierra-at-Tahoe all at 8300'. What an awesome area to lose. Bottom line is California SUCKS!!!

·
Registered
173 Posts
That's very sad, I've been meaning to explore that area...

I've noticed the closures to be especially restrictive in the Silver Fork area over the last couple years, a few of them for good reason (overuse, trash).

Unfortunately, the result is more people being forced into less area = crowds.

·
Registered
768 Posts
surfpig said:
Unfortunately, the result is more people being forced into less area = crowds.
That's the point I brought up at the last meeting I attended. Closing more areas doesn't reduce the use. It only focuses the use on a smaller area. You still need to manage it. Closure is not management; it is a symptom of failing to manage.

·
16,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
SlowMo said:
That's the point I brought up at the last meeting I attended. Closing more areas doesn't reduce the use. It only focuses the use on a smaller area. You still need to manage it. Closure is not management; it is a symptom of failing to manage.
Exactly! More users in a smaller area means MORE damage. THEN the enviro-nazis point out how much we are hurting that area and close even more. They know what they are doing.

I was hoping on spending many years with my boys camping like I did with my father, now that is ruined

·
Registered
65 Posts
Please Please comment to your government representatives. Every year there is a bill to designate more wilderness. I have attended some of the public meetings for route designation and there was a very low turnout of the public. It is your public land and you should speak up!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts