Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 4.3 that sometimes runs on the hot side. I used to run dual black magic fans and it was ok at times, but would heat up. Since have replaced with a 6 blade clutch fan

Results were pretty good, but I am hoping to do better

Would mounting 1 of my black majic fans in the front of the rad help in conjunction with the mechanical fan?

I am assuming it would to help draw the heat out, but should it be sucking air through the rad or pushing it through since there is a mechanical fan on now.

·
Registered
323 Posts
You want them to flow together.

·
Registered
726 Posts
YOU NEED A AWSOME FAN SHROUD TOO,

cant say it enough,

especially on trail and in slow areas

really HELPS

and a really good water pump too.

not cheap,

But a Really Good H2o pump.

Good luck,
Tell us what fixed it in the end.

·
Registered
5,465 Posts
I have been running 2 electric fans for over 1 year. they cooled WAY better than the stock mechanical fan that was on there. Even with a built up engine it is cooling the same!

·
Registered
11,076 Posts
two words...

Viper fan :D

something like 4000cfm. That is what I have planned for my buggy

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
This may sound stupid but couldn't you reverse the polarity on the e fan to be a pusher or a puller? Never tried it just curious.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
Brawler said:
This may sound stupid but couldn't you reverse the polarity on the e fan to be a pusher or a puller? Never tried it just curious.

Yes and no, ONLY if the blade can be flipped over. They are directional.

·
Registered
543 Posts
The Viper fan is awesome. Another very good electric fan is the OEM unit off of a 3.8 liter supercharged Ford Cougar or Thunderbird Turbo Coupe. They are 2 speed with a huge motor, will kick the shit out of any aftermarket fan.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've found that some of the best electric fans come off of old rice burners. Just go to the local junkyard and pull some off an old honda/toyota/mitsu/datsun. Most have dual fans and nice fan shouds too and suck a bunch of air. Their radiators don't do a bad job either even though they are made for 4 cyclinders I put one behind my V6 and only have to use my electric fan in the middle of summer while wheelin! Make sure you have it flushed though makes a huge difference especially for the ones out of older cars.

·
Registered
26 Posts
early 80's toyota Celica GT its small too like 26" wide and thin too but it works good. If you get the radiator and fans as a pair they match up real good too. Before i had one out of an Isuzu impulse (some small truck) and it worked just as well until a tree on a trail went through my grill and pushed it into the mechanical fan i had on before.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Rad is a AA radiator

I ran with the elect fan on and temps were right around 165, off it was 190, never higher, but then again it was about 15 degree's out

:D

fAN mounted in front of the rad and also Pushing the air into the rad/through the engine compartment.

Actually I am thinking it was wired the wrong way and not flowing properly when it was setup on the backside of the rad.

I am gonna put the second one I have on the landcrusier in front of the rad also and try that.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Which 4.3L are you running, and in what vehicle? I have a 95 4.3L in my 88 YJ, and have absolutely no cooling problems. I could blow on the radiator without a fan and it would run cool. I do not think your problem is in your fan, but someplace else. When does it get hot?

Ben

1 - 16 of 16 Posts