Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Fully electric trail rig in progress. It's a third gen 4runner chassis on 33s. AC motor directly coupled to the front axle, High-torque DC trough a divorced NP205 to the rear. This makes it full time 4WD without any scrub issues. You can light the rear up into a slide and maintain forward pull through the front. I really like it

Next up is to put something in that engine bay, build a Exo/roll cage, and build some bumpers/winch mount. Any thoughts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9l8ap34OSxw

·
Registered
831 Posts
I must be missing something. What are you accomplishing by directing rear axle power through the transfer case? Why not go direct electric motor to each differential?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I must be missing something. What are you accomplishing by directing rear axle power through the transfer case? Why not go direct electric motor to each differential?
I get 2x torque multiplication which halves the amps needed for any given load. Keeps the motor cooler. Another one for the front motor would be nice to have too but I didn't have the space. It also takes the driveshaft loads and axle movement forces off the bearings in the motor.

It could be done with both motors direct if you wanted.

·
Premium Member
29,405 Posts
NOODLES:27510129 said:
That is pretty cool. You should run the headlights off of gas powered generators.
that would be :grinpimp:

what kind of run time can you get?

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
That's pretty damn impressive. Working next to Tesla I have always thought about an electric crawler. Looking forward to more updates.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
That is pretty cool. You should run the headlights off of gas powered generators.
If I wanted to use gas I'd have left the engine in it. This way is ultimate stealth :D

It does have power steering but I've got that disconnected right now. So...manual. It's so much lighter than stock with all the weight centered down low instead of over the front wheels steering is no problem.

As far as run time...no idea yet. I can climb the crazy hill behind my house 20+ times and blast through a couple miles of corn field using 10-15% of the battery. Slow steady crawling it would probably last many hours of wheel time. I plan on putting a lot more miles on it over the next couple days, I'll know more then.

That's pretty damn impressive. Working next to Tesla I have always thought about an electric crawler. Looking forward to more updates.
Thanks. You ever drive one of those Teslas?

I don't know why we don't see more electric off road stuff. It's got insane torque, compact and versatile mounting, will run at any angle (even upside down or under water), stealth, etc, etc

Not to mention it's so cheap to run it's practically free. (and more-so if you've got a couple solar panels)

·
Registered
568 Posts
That is realy cool, way to think out of the box. A major plus with electic motors, they have 100% of avaliable torque at start off. Down side, that can snap anything in its path of least resistance. I would guess those are hp and tq of those motors?

·
Registered
12,646 Posts
power steering is easy off electric. I see stuff like that all the time on fire engines. pto driven generators, motor driven oil pumps.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Electric ps is actually very common. Mr2, civic si ep3,and rx8 to name a few

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
AmpRunner;27510689 Thanks. You ever drive one of those Teslas? I don't know why we don't see more electric off road stuff. It's got insane torque said:
Yes I have. Both the original roadster and many S's.

Cool thread. Keep it going.

:smokin:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Electric ps is actually very common. Mr2, civic si ep3,and rx8 to name a few
I think I've heard of using the mr2 pumps, but I didn't know there were other options. Cool. I'll try to snag one cheap at the junkyard.

Did you get the drivetrain from a donor vehicle?
Yeah I got the 98 4runner from a buddy for a couple hundred bucks. I've been driving around just the frame for a little while, just recently decided it was time to put it all back together and get that cab out of my yard.

Here is a little vid of just the chassis running around

EDIT - I see you asked about the drivetrain, not the chassis, duh.

Nope, it's all assembled from parts I had on hand. The "main" motor is rebuilt from a forklift, the front AC motor is from HPEVS. DC Controller is a Soliton1 from EVNetics. You can pretty much pick a battery voltage and a power output and find a motor available that will do it. 1000 Ft-lbs wouldn't be a problem, nor world 1000 HP+. It'd just be more expensive

·
Registered
15,361 Posts
what kind of batteries? why one dc motor and one ac motor? hows the throttle work, some kind of control unit or something? how long does it take to charge and what can you charge it with?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Good shit. Keep the updates coming. :smokin:
Super cool.
Thanks guys! :D I wasn't sure anyone would get it.

what kind of batteries? why one dc motor and one ac motor? hows the throttle work, some kind of control unit or something? how long does it take to charge and what can you charge it with?
It's got lithium CALB batteries. Approx 16kwh at ~160 volts.

Parts were mostly chosen based on what I had left over from other projects. The DC motor does 2x the torque of the AC so I wanted that in back. And the AC can do regenerative breaking so it made sense to put that up front.

Throttle is a pretty standard pedal unit from a Toyota. It's from a Prius I think? It has two independent throttle units in the one pedal so the ECU can detect a discrepancy. I just wired 1 side up to the DC and the other to the AC controller. Each one has it's own min/max and throttle curves.

These batteries like a C/2 charge rate so they take 2 hours. I've got an EMW 12,000 watt charger that will do anything form 0-80 amps and 0-360 volts. I'm working on getting it running right off my solar panels.

I'm thinking about swapping in some Enerdel batteries that weigh less, put out double the amps, and can charge at 6C (thats 10 minutes empty to full!)

1 - 20 of 84 Posts