Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, not sure if this type of thing has been discussed in the past, nothing relevant came up in the search.

If you are looking for a trick power steering setup, try to find a Subaru XT6 (Yes the goofy space ship looking late 80's coupe) in the Junkyard. It has to be an XT6 which is the 6 cylinder car, regualr XT and XT Turbo have a standard pump on the engine. The XT6's have a really neat electric power steering pump. I think it is speed sensitive, as it has a small control unit.

I picked one up last year for $20 for use in another project... I have yet to do anything with it, but I was searching through some parts yesterday and came accross it. Thoughts about using it on the yota came to mind. Boosting steering during a low rpm rock crawling siuation would be a snap once the control unit is figured out (it only has 4 or 5 wires). Running a hydralic winch with a dead engine would be possible. Low on power 22R engines could gain a few HP at highway speeds by not not having to run the power sapping factory unit... PS is not really needed at those high speeds anyway.

Anyone else think this has some merrit? Could be a good cheap alternative to some of the hydralic stuff out there.

Brian

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Seen them used on Samari's before. If you are worried about power from a 22R or 22RE try the power from a 1300cc engine. For rock crawling the electric pump was trick. Not to mention power steering with the engine stopped.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts