Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What size? While on Friday I would have told you I only needed 75' of cable, it looks like 125' isn't going to make it. :rolleyes:

In the mean time, I'll be trying to see how far I can make this stuff go.

TIA

Bryan

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
In the ground or overhead?

Overhead - you can use 5 cubic inches per conductor, the grounds only count once, this leaves you with the need for 35 cubic inch box. Now, let's take into account that you are making joints on a circuit that is more than 30A, and most wirenuts aren't rated for more than that. This leaves you needing to make joints with either crimp splices (needs a special tool), split bolts (kearneys, needs lots of tape, including rubber splicing tape), or you can get a bigger box, mount some isolated tap blocks and go that route.

Personally, in the interest of keeping it as simple as possible, I'd use a 6x6x6 box, and kearney the joints. Get an electrician to help you do this part, if you don't do it right, you'll have one hell of a fireworks show.

If it's underground, first of all, I'd avoid making joints. If you still insist, get the underground splice kit from 3M and still make everything up in a J-box. (at least a 18x18x6 PVC weatherproof box)

·
Registered
16,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm going to reroute the cable tonight which should save a good 20'-40'. It adds up quickly!

:beer:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts