Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
34,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Victim: 1990 mini truck. 22re, 5-speed. stock.

Blew the "efi" fuse a week ago. Put a new fuse in and all was good. Blew the fuse again on Sat. and now the truck is dead. I have gone threw 4 manuals trying to decipher if this "efi" fuse is for the fuel pump or something else. If I put a new fuse in, I don't hear the pump, so I'm guessing that's what it is, but can anyone verify this for me???? I really don't want to drop the tank if I don't have to.

Part 2 of the question... The newer (89+) 22re's run at a different fuel pressure than the earlier 22re's. Is that a function of the pressure regulator or is the fuel pump actually different? I have two earlier fuel pumps sitting in the garage, and I'd like to use one of those if I can...

Ideas?

Thanks,
bkg

·
Registered
331 Posts
Check for an efi system problem. Something is out of its resistance range, could be a bad sensor. Also check for chafed wires in the system... thngs that have been 'messed with' are best places to start. I had a 89 V6 do this and it ended up being an O2 sensor wire that was grouding out on a heat shield that had worn through the insulation.

Brian

·
Registered
34,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by Bjowett:
<STRONG>Check for an efi system problem. Something is out of its resistance range, could be a bad sensor. Also check for chafed wires in the system... thngs that have been 'messed with' are best places to start. I had a 89 V6 do this and it ended up being an O2 sensor wire that was grouding out on a heat shield that had worn through the insulation.

Brian</STRONG>

Thanks! That gives me some idea where to start. Nothing's been modified on this engine that I'm aware of, so I'll have to start looking everywhere!

Just for some more info, I get no error codes out of the ecu...
bkg

·
Registered
34,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've started working this issue and checking wires. So far, I haven't found any wires that have been chaffed or otherwise affected - the wiring looms look good (under hood, through firewall and under carpet).

Anyway, I tried jumping the Fuel Pump diag connectors (Fp & B+) to see if the pump would work. I turned the ignition to "on" and as soon as I jump the connectors the fuse goes Pop! Does this point to the fuel pump? Any help or ideas would be appreciated!!!

bkg

1 - 4 of 4 Posts