Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
In GOD we trust. USA
13,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Power question. I'm in the process of hooking up a dual optima set up with a simple + to + and - to - (I assume that means 1400 CCA's) and since I had everything apart, installing a Master Disconnect Switch. Marine shops show 300 amp switches....is there a 1400 amp switch....is a rated switch of that capacity needed?

Suggestions please!!!

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
It's Amperage... Whatever you think your max load is determines what switch you need. I'd say the 300 Amp switch will do you good. Possible a little undersized, but that's what safety factors are for.

·
Registered
11,647 Posts
I'm using a Bluesea systems dual battery marine switch on mine. Cost about $40 at the local boat store. They are rated at 300A continuous, and 1400 momentary. I run mine kinda backwards, the battery is attached to the output terminal and I have the motor and winch on the selector terminals. This gives me a quick way to do an emergency disconnect on the winch without pulling wires out (again).

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Those 300A marine switches are probably the best bet.

I have many, many nautical miles and have used a variety of those switches. They will be fine for winching. An anchor winch draws a lot more load than a Warn, and I never had a switch go bad, or fail.

·
In GOD we trust. USA
13,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All right...I've checked some of the marine supply places and there is a master shut off and an alternator master shut off....what am I looking for and how is it hooked up?

·
Registered
11,647 Posts
You don't really need the AFD. The AFD is designed to cut off the alternator feed when the switch is turned off while the motor is running:

AFD is short for Alternator Field Disconnect. the AFD is a second switch inside the battery switch, yet electrically isolated from it. The AFD switch closes before the battery switch contacts close and opens before they open. It is connected to the field wire between the voltage regulator and the alternator, preventing the alternator from producing power when the AFD switch is open. The purpose is to protect the alternator diodes, which can be damaged if the alternator is producing power and the battery switch is suddenly turned off.

You just connect the switch as close to the battery as possible on the + side.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts