·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
95 DODGE 3/4
V10
4WD

I AM AN ELECTRICAL GREENHORN :flipoff2:

i bought it two years ago and have lived with this shit every day seems like. i am sure now that it was a stolen/recovered rig. i found a puncture in the lower portion of the column plastic cover last night as i was taking it off to perhaps remove the ignition switch which i THINK may be the problem. i doubt this can be solved over the internet but ya never know.........just some more ideas could help :)

there is a glitch somewhere...........maybe the PCM.........haven't replaced that yet..........prolly pretty pricey.

SYMPTOMS:

1. started when i bought it........if it didn't start right away and i turned the key off, then tried to start it again right away, the startes would drag like a dead battery. replaced the starter and batt....still did it. started blowing the ignition fuse ($2.50) in the power distribution center under hood, drivers side. ended up bypassing the ignition for the starter and ran a switch to the dash and works ok.

2. now my elec windows don't work, AC/heater fan don't work and airbag light is on. these have done this before but if i just discoed the battery or even just turned the key on/off it would fix. NOT THIS TIME.........they just won't fix.

3. one time only, my oil pressure gauge registered 0 pressure. i discoed the batt and fixed that.

4. lately when turning off engine, the radio would stay on. if i fiddled with the key and did an on/off routine i could get the radio to stay off without having to turn the radio off with it's knob. now it works fine like it should BUT coincidentally????????? this new problem now exists.........NO AC FAN, NO ELEC WINDOWS and AIRBAG LIGHT ON :shaking:

long story i know. i am gonna replace the ignition switch today and see if that helps. and price a new PCM. the reason i think it might be the ign switch is because it generally has to be on for the windows and fan to work right? AND, if i turned the key ON/OFF before, it would fix them if they didn't work, AND the radio glitch was fixed if the key were fawked with.

oh, and i don't have any blown fuses at the moment.

any comments you can throw out there would be appreciated. thanks for your time :)

steve

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
There was a recall on the earlier second generation rams (I believe that yours would be included in this) where people were having problems similar to what you described. It dealt with the wiring heading up to the ignition switch being undersized and when using the air conditioning the wiring could get hot and melt the insulation.

Chrysler would install a relay to pass the electrical load from the A/C around the ignition switch to save the wiring from melting. I have heard that there is a nice overlay harness that you can get from Chrysler to do this, but I haven't ever had to install one and haven't ever seen the harness.

FWIW, I am guessing that your ECU is fine. The only thing in these older rams that is controlled by an ECU is the engine. There is no body control module on these trucks so everything is hard wired. I am also guessing that disconnecting the battery really didn't do anything, but you just gave it enough time or messed with the ignition switch enough to seem like it worked.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks monsterman

i replaced the ignition switch, $40.......wa-la :)

elec windows and AC fan are workin. when i removed the lower column plastic gizmo i seen a ripped-hole where the banditos entered and apparently hot-wired da bitch. two of the wires in the harness to the switch were burnt, insulation melted like you describe....but was that from the overload on unfersized wires OR from the crooks cause the wires are right opposite the hole.

thanks much

1 - 3 of 3 Posts