Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a line run from my upstairs bedroom where the breaker is to the new garage, which is roughly 100'. There is a spot for a breaker in my current box.He quoted me $650, it sounds kinda high to me. How much should it run?

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
How many amp 220 line? 100' is a lot of $ in wire alone.
x2.

We just paid $340 for 150' of 6ga 3 conductor copper UF cable this last weekend. Then you add in the other items to do the job correctly and it goes up from there. IMHO, that estimate sounds about right.

·
Premium Member
6,712 Posts
i just did a 100 foot run for my neighbor from his breaker box in the house to his garage.. we buried 4 guage aluminum to the garage for 60 amp service. he got the wire and told me it was less than half for the aluminum over copper.

·
Registered
295 Posts
if you use the aluminum its way cheaper to do a higher amp load.
I just did a 100 amp service wire to my garage and got the 2/2/4 aluminum wire for like $1.17 a foot and its direct bury as well. Your only issue will be running something that big in the walls as its very stiff wire as opposed to something ike a 6/2 or 6/3 copper. This is something that if you have some electrical skills and could pick someones brain a little you could do it yourself.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
I'm of the same opinion... It's a little high.

I would chack at Homless-Desperate. When I was wiring my garage, they had 125' prepackaged spools of 6Ga for about $140 (it's what I used for all EIGHT of my welder outlets in the new shop). Even if it's doubled since I bought my last one, we're still not even in the same neighborhood.

add in $20 for a two pole/50A breaker
add in $5 for a box
add in $20 for a good NEMA 6-50R plug
add in $10 for a cover plate

It's not difficult to do, you could save yourself some money if you can be trained to the level of a chiba-monkey.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
hang on a second.
I just re-read the original post.
When you say "new garage" are we talking new construction with no other electricity?

If so, a MUCH better option is to have your electrician put in a sub-panel in your shop/garage space, then you have MANY more options you can explore down the road as you start to use the space.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
I would chack at Homless-Desperate. When I was wiring my garage, they had 125' prepackaged spools of 6Ga for about $140 (it's what I used for all EIGHT of my welder outlets in the new shop). Even if it's doubled since I bought my last one, we're still not even in the same neighborhood.
I agree with you on the sub panel in any garage, whether new or old.

I'm assuming that the price you threw out for that 125' of 6 ga cable must have been for aluminum? That's waaaaaaay too cheap if you're looking at copper right now...

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
I'm assuming that the price you threw out for that 125' of 6 ga cable must have been for aluminum? That's waaaaaaay too cheap if you're looking at copper right now...
No, that was for copper 6Ga, 2 conductor plus ground, this is indoor/romex, NOT direct burial. The last one I bought was about 2 months ago.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The garage has been done for a few months, It has wiring run for all the regular plugs and switches already. These wires are run up to the upstairs bedroom where the box is.

·
Registered
60,133 Posts
Still have to have the wire.

Why pay an electrician?
Well yes, but he's bound to need another 220 circuit someday down the road and to avoid having an oversized breaker for the device that is being supported. It would be better to have a 60-100A sub in the garage.

Go through the pain of wiring in the walls to get to the original panel once.

Why pay an electrician? Maybe he doesn't know how and is skeered of the electrons?

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Sounds like a pretty fair price honestly. Is the wire run outside the house? Through finished walls? Alot to consider when dealing with prices for running wire in houses. Its not just a cut and dry simple formula when you are trying to guess what was done before and figure out how to add onto an existing system. Figure if you do it your self you will be saving labor witch I would guess at around 4 hours at around $70/hr. If you think its high call other shops and see what hey charge. Try to find a one man shop cause they are usually the cheapest but make sure he has the proper credentials and isn't just some handy man. I HATE HANDY MAN ELECTRICIANS :mad3:

·
Registered
10,442 Posts
I HATE HANDY MAN ELECTRICIANS :mad3:
Yes, it's much better when a master electrician and master plumber leave ungrounded gfi's and ungrounded swtiches in a bathroom, wires nutted together in the wall, no box, leaking pipes, rusted off pipes plumbers puttied to the floor, electrified gas pipes...

I know several "handy man electricians" that I would trust to work on my stuff way before some "master electricians" I know of.

Travis, I would agree on the sub, but if he's going to a main box with one slot left, I highly doubt he can get much of a subpanel, especially with only 6 gauge wire.

Even if he's not comfortable hooking up the wire, running it himself would save some $$$.

My personal belief is that a garage should have it's own independent panel. I have a 150 amp box in a 22x24 garage, and damn near all the slots are gone.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Well you have your opinion and I have mine but as far as I am concerned in Montana a "Handyman Electrician" is breaking the law right off the bat and is no better than an Illeagal hanging sheetrock. I have yet to meet one that comes close to following code and when you have to explain to a homeowner that the "handyman" did it wrong and it will cost more $$$ to fix what they already paid for, well respect goes right out the door. Not to mention i doubt they carry any kind of insurance incase an accident does happen. But they are cheap so whatever :mad3:

Now a HOMEOWNER trying to do their own work on their own home, I will be the first one to try to help so they dont burn their house down. Its your house and its your legal right to do your own wiring and burn your house down :flipoff2:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts