Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Non-Lemming
78,529 Posts
......and put in a 60 amp feed (#6 copper wire minimum). Not all hot tubs can run on 50.

Also, make damn sure you've got three wires in your feed (not counting the bare ground), some hot tubs require a neutral. Should be Black, Red, White and Bare.

Also, the "spa package" mini breaker panel that you'll need outside near the tub must be a GFCI, make sure it's a GFCI with a neutral as well.
This.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
It’s your house, fuck the builder or tell him you’ll find a real builder. It’s the whole point of building your own house.

·
What did you expect?
12,760 Posts
......and put in a 60 amp feed (#6 copper wire minimum). Not all hot tubs can run on 50.

Also, make damn sure you've got three wires in your feed (not counting the bare ground), some hot tubs require a neutral. Should be Black, Red, White and Bare.

Also, the "spa package" mini breaker panel that you'll need outside near the tub must be a GFCI, make sure it's a GFCI with a neutral as well.
Mine is like this, but it was existing structure.

I'd have a talk with the builder and remind him who si writing the checks.
Easy conversation.

Most likely no conduit. Typical house gets Romex. Unless you're in Chicago.
X2

·
Registered
248 Posts
if its a liability thing, just have him run the conduit and leave an open panel so you can wire it yourself or have electricians do it once the house is done

but have it set up now for whatever you want to do in the future

·
Atomic Test Lab Rat
3,673 Posts
if its a liability thing, just have him run the conduit and leave an open panel so you can wire it yourself or have electricians do it once the house is done

but have it set up now for whatever you want to do in the future
why would there be any more liability with a properly sized and run 50amp setup vice a 30amp?

·
Registered
10,335 Posts
why would there be any more liability with a properly sized and run 50amp setup vice a 30amp?
Well you just know that extra intermittent 20A is gonna throw off the balance of a 200A panel....

:laughing:

So thinketh the builder anyways. Or his cheap ass realized the cost difference between 10 gauge nm and 6 gauge nm.
:homer:

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
Most likely no conduit. Typical house gets Romex. Unless you're in Chicago.
OK so run 6ga romex. I did in my garage. Bought 35' from Platt with some huge x-tra wide staples to tack it down, what's the big deal? I'd find myself another electrician or builder

·
Abby...someone
4,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Seems this blew up a little :eek:

This is a regional builder and they have a standard set of "options" - I am going to bring it up with them at our pre-construction meeting, as it doesn't make sense to me either that they will do a 30 but not a 50.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
Shouldn’t be anything “standard” about a custom home build.

Lucky for you it’s a pre-construction meeting. Take the time to think about what else he’s not going to do the way you want, it’s your $$$.

He works for you.

Seems this blew up a little <a href="http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/images/smilies/eek.gif" border="0" alt="" title="eek" >:)</a>

This is a regional builder and they have a standard set of "options" - I am going to bring it up with them at our pre-construction meeting, as it doesn't make sense to me either that they will do a 30 but not a 50.

·
Abby...someone
4,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Shouldn’t be anything “standard” about a custom home build.
That's the point - it's not a "custom" home

It's a standard home in a community that is just not built yet and we get to choose what we want from their list of stuff.

That said - it is ridiculous that they will do a 30 but not a 50

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
That's the point - it's not a "custom" home

It's a standard home in a community that is just not built yet and we get to choose what we want from their list of stuff.

That said - it is ridiculous that they will do a 30 but not a 50

we do it all the time, we build over 150 houses a year
customer willing to pay, we do anything...
again ....your builder is a tard.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
“Hey, use the wire from that roll on this leg, not the other roll on this particular house, we’re charging him $200 extra.”

I just can’t wrap my head around why that can’t be done. You’re not asking for a jacuzzi tub in a half bath.

I’m getting too old for that kinda shit so ignore me if you need to. Tell him you’ll buy the wire and hand it to him on sparky day and buy the crew lunch.

·
Registered
8,128 Posts
I would guess a 50amp load on paper will push them over the service sizing they have already done for the houses.

I would also venture to guess you could show up when they start building and talk to the electrician and make it happen or at least talk to the framers to make it easy for you to throw in after.

·
Premium Member
5,556 Posts
I would guess a 50amp load on paper will push them over the service sizing they have already done for the houses.

I would also venture to guess you could show up when they start building and talk to the electrician and make it happen or at least talk to the framers to make it easy for you to throw in after.
If it bumps up the service size the AHJ could make it go back to plan review, which could be a big delay and would put the builder in a bind extending his bank note. All for a welder plug. I would have the sparky rough in for a “future EV charger” (To save the environment) and leave the cable in a blanked box.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
I'm not a sparky, but at the 1st post you need to have the come to Jesus with your builder, get his explanation, even if it's some "panel load calc" shit, fine, you need to pay for the heavier wire, and swap the breaker after the final.

Or fire him.

Or direct deal with electrician.

And get 50a welder plug in garage.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
is it the builder or some sales agent monkey/ lemming giving you the run around. I can easily see a sales person saying 'we dont have a line item / check box for anything more than 30a- can't do it.'

If you can't ruffle a few feathers and get what you want, you'd be wise to walk away because it's not gonna get any easier once they break ground/ have materials on site.

the best path short of them doing what you want would be having them run oversized #6 wire with the 30 a breaker.

If that fails, I would sneak in and talk to the electrician or rough it in yourself one evening after the sparky leaves, but before drywall/ subfloor gets put down.

those volume builders often cut corners- it would be money well spent to hire a 3rd party inspector/ GC to walk the property every other night or so to check for hack-tacular work.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts