Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
You will need an older charger, all the chargers I own are new style. They have a sensor that keeps the positive and negative dormant until hooked to a battery as a safety to keep them from being powered up. I was all set now I have to find and old style charger.

·
Safety third!
11,378 Posts
I always like to add that shitty chargers are not terribly stable. When I do this I put an old mostly dead car or lawn tractor battery in line for stability and run jumper cables from the posts to anode and cathode.

I personally think this process is awesome and recommend it for anyone. Just do it where you have ventilation and avoid using sodium chloride, just stick with the washing soda.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
I always like to add that shitty chargers are not terribly stable. When I do this I put an old mostly dead car or lawn tractor battery in line for stability and run jumper cables from the posts to anode and cathode.

I personally think this process is awesome and recommend it for anyone. Just do it where you have ventilation and avoid using sodium chloride, just stick with the washing soda.

Well fuck I just got rid of my last dead battery. I might have a old lawnmower battery laying around. Time to look

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Surgical Shotgunner
15,752 Posts
You will need an older charger, all the chargers I own are new style. They have a sensor that keeps the positive and negative dormant until hooked to a battery as a safety to keep them from being powered up. I was all set now I have to find and old style charger.
use an old cell phone charger. cut off the ends, splice in alligator clips.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I have been playing around with this , hooked up my leads backwards, had a nice clean piece of rebar.
scraped off the rust chunks and reversed them for another overnight run.
cheap easy and no effort.

started with a 6 amp charger switch to the 20amp, not sure the actual current draw, but starting with a clean piece of rebar works better.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
I have been playing around with this , hooked up my leads backwards, had a nice clean piece of rebar.

started with a 6 amp charger switch to the 20amp, not sure the actual current draw, but starting with a clean piece of rebar works better.

:laughing: always good to have clean rebar.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #28

Haha. A good sanity check is to look for bubbles coming off the thing you want cleaned. If the sacrificial metal is bubbling then you have the leads backwards.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I looked at the fancy ones, too much work, rebar and Rusty piece in bucket/ tub clamp turn on charger, come back next day

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Ok so what to do with the rusty water. It's pretty much iron water correct? Isn't that what moss out in a sprayer for lawns is?

Asking because if I do it I will have 7-10 gallons of water to fuck with. I'm on septic so not sure if it can go down the drain. When in doubt I pass

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited)
I've done this, but since I found out about Evapo-Rust I've been using that instead.
I stumbled onto a box of "rusty junk" that I think will all recover nicely. It will also give me a pretty good opportunity to do side by side comparison of the E-tank and a bucket of Evapo-Rust.

I watched some YouTube videos and it looks ridiculously easy. Almost too good to be true and I have a hard time believing it.

https://youtu.be/MO4lFxl6oE4

The down fall I see is that you don't dilute it. Fully covering large items could get expensive. This may be where an E-Tank would excel.

Amazon has a sale of the 3.5 gallon bucket for $58.56 or about .13 cents a oz.

The fact that it doesn't hurt aluminum, plastics, brass etc. makes it very appealing for certain applications.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
I used it and rust remover for a small boat gas tank. All failed. I used electrolysis and it worked great. Just my experience with these.

So I can't find my 6 volt charger. Is a 12 volt just too much. Do I need to buy a 6 volt?

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
So I can't find my 6 volt charger. Is a 12 volt just too much. Do I need to buy a 6 volt?

You are good with a 12 volt charger. It just needs to be an older style brute force charger not a new style with all the state of charge monitoring.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts