Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone know the details to bypassing the electronics in a AW4 electronic tranny. i am putting a 4.0 and the tranny into an older cj, and need to figure out how to get away with using that electronic tranny.

·
Registered
6,620 Posts
Without the TCU (transmission control unit) wired up it will not shift automatically at all, you will have no second gear (only 1, 3 and OD) and the Torque converter will never lock up, producing a LOT of heat, especially at cruise in 3 or OD.

In other words, not a very good idea.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Suffice it to say that you CANNOT run an AW-4 without the electronic control...

besides the valve body being controled by electronic shifting solinoids, it require inputs from shared sensors from the engine control group, namely the TPS and the TV linkage. There is also a speed sensor on the output shaft of the tranny. The AW-4 bellhousing has a provision for the Crankshaft positon sensor for the 4-litre

Furthermore, unless you have a CJ-8, CJ-6 C-101 or other long-wheelbase, the aw-4 might not be the best tranny choice to to driveshaft length concerns. the bellhousing coupled with the tranny itself, plus the T-case adapter, makes it almost too long to use in shortwheelbase applications, but certainl;y not impossible, just not a great choice. Unless you have a complete XJ powertrain including the 4.0 and the 231 or 242, I believe the AW-4 choice to be "unwise" especially in a CJ 5,7 or YJ

hope this helps.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i do have the complete drivetrain, except that i am using a model30 tcase, but i already have the '93 4.0 wored, and inplace, and according to ca. state law, you have to swap the tranny with the engine to get it smog legal. so i am trying to find out what i need to do as far as the electronics go. i need to find a good scematic on the wiring for the tranny, so i can get it all hooked up.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
There are 2 wiring harness connectors on the Xj near the dipstick. These are the only 2 connectors goin to the trans. Just hook these up how they were, and your good to go.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Hi guys, I am not sure what the aw4 tranny is?, I picked a auto up from a 2000 TJ with the lock-up torque converter. The question I have is that I was told that for the torque converter I just need to run a toggle switch to power off the tranny to manually lock the TC into overdrive, is this correct? will all of the other gears work correctly. I thought this was the 999 4 spd tranny. I am putting it in a 95 YJ.

A little help please.

Thanks BlueYJ :cool2:

·
Registered
576 Posts
BlueYJ said:
Hi guys, I am not sure what the aw4 tranny is?, I picked a auto up from a 2000 TJ with the lock-up torque converter. The question I have is that I was told that for the torque converter I just need to run a toggle switch to power off the tranny to manually lock the TC into overdrive, is this correct? will all of the other gears work correctly. I thought this was the 999 4 spd tranny. I am putting it in a 95 YJ.

A little help please.

Thanks BlueYJ :cool2:
correct me if I'm wrong, but the tj or yj has never been offered with an overdrive auto (aw4). the aw4 only came in xj and some zj's, so what you have is a 3 speed auto from a tj. maybe you should try for a 700r4, the only wiring you need is a relay to cut power to the tranny when you push on the break, everything else is controlled by the tv cable.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts