Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of a relay that has a connection that is normally closed, but when supplied power from another source, will open the connection. The guy at radio shack couldnt help me.

Thanks,

Ryan

·
Registered
5,687 Posts
YeeP said:
Does anyone know of a relay that has a connection that is normally closed, but when supplied power from another source, will open the connection. The guy at radio shack couldnt help me.

Thanks,

Ryan
HMMMM? :) You need a N.C. (normally closed relay).

There are alot of automotive relays with "five terminals". Two for the energizing coil. Of the remaining three:

1. N.C. contact (normally closed)
2. Common
3. N.O. contact (normally open).

I like the Bosch Relays... spotted this on eBay. Relay You can see the connections and little wiring diagram on the side (if you look real close).

Tom :usa:

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
YeeP said:

Thanks,

Ryan
87a is the normally open terminal, run this to your accesory
87 not used
86 to your 12v switch
85 to ground
30 to a 12v constant source

Just use a bosch 5 pin automotive relay and make sure they have all of the above labeled terminals.

Ryan

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Part 2 of this question,

I am trying to "make" a blinker light up with a cool light that I found that only has running lights, and bake lights, (3 wires, one is ground) any ideas?

Thanks,

Ryan

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
If you are trying to wire this light fixture into a truck that has separate turn signal and brake light wires, you need a "5 wire to 4 wire converter" available at any trailer store.

You can also use two 5A diodes (four total for both sides) with both cathodes wired to the bulb and one anode to each signal and brake wire. This works OK, but your turn signal will stop working when you step on the brakes.

·
Registered
5,687 Posts
Yeep,

Still not sure on what you are doing, but a "trick" to get side markers to flash when you have turn signals on is to take the
"ground" connection of the side marker lamp and wire it to the "hot" side of the turn signal.

They find a "sneak path" to ground through the turn signal filiment.

As the turn signal is turned on (which flashes as normal) the side markers will flash out of sync (lights on). Of course they will flash in sync if the headlights are turned off.

Obviously the side marker can not be grounded (or you would blow the turn signal fuse).

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
roundrocktom said:
Yeep,

Still not sure on what you are doing, but a "trick" to get side markers to flash when you have turn signals on is to take the
"ground" connection of the side marker lamp and wire it to the "hot" side of the turn signal.

They find a "sneak path" to ground through the turn signal filiment.

As the turn signal is turned on (which flashes as normal) the side markers will flash out of sync (lights on). Of course they will flash in sync if the headlights are turned off.

Obviously the side marker can not be grounded (or you would blow the turn signal fuse).

Cool that makes total sence, I allways womdered why I would see blinkers out of sync

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Pinhead,

this may be a dumb question but I only have 3 wires coming out of the fixture, will this five to four wire converter work? Also will it blink on and off when I am
1) hitting the brakes
2)running lights on?

Thanks for the tip

Ryan

·
Registered
589 Posts
YeeP said:
Pinhead,

this may be a dumb question but I only have 3 wires coming out of the fixture, will this five to four wire converter work? Also will it blink on and off when I am
1) hitting the brakes
2)running lights on?
Thanks for the tipRyan
If you tell us more than it's "a cool light with 3 wires and a ground" AND what you would like to do with it we may be able to help you more.

Barring another info, my guess is 2 of the wires are for the L & R turn signals and the 3rd is for the brake, ground is ground.

If so, just tie them into the appropriate wires in the vehicle harness.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
YeeP said:
Pinhead,

1) hitting the brakes
2)running lights on?

Thanks for the tip

Ryan
So you are going from a double filament bulb, to a single. Going from one light fixture to two. They do make the exact converter that you are looking for. The only one that I can get costs me $50.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
the relay is a SPDT, I have always heard them called that anyway. Any stereo shop should have a butt load of them if you need to find one (I have not bought one in a few years I had a small stock pile :D )

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
Standard Motor Parts RY12. I think it's an A/C relay for pre-86 GM cars and trucks. About $12-14 from Carquest

Attachments

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
Re: Re: Electronics, relay question

RealJeep Man said:

87a is the normally open terminal, run this to your accessory
87 not used
86 to your 12v switch
85 to ground
30 to a 12v constant source

Just use a bosch 5 pin automotive relay and make sure they have all of the above labeled terminals.

Ryan
I think you got that backwards if I remember correctly the standard bosche has a terminal layout of

85 and 86 coil, one ground one +12 DC does not matter which you use

30 is Common conductor
87 switched normally open
87A switched normally closed (A is in always closed when off)

So to switch something off with a 12v trigger

85 ground
86 12v trigger
30 12v source
87A item to be switched off
87 not used

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
Rockcrusher said:
Standard Motor Parts RY12. I think it's an A/C relay for pre-86 GM cars and trucks. About $12-14 from Carquest
God don't use that turd. Bosche are the only way to go. Pull a couple from Junkers anytime you are at the yard.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sorry about the lack of pic, I just took one

As I said there are three wires, one is running lights, one is brakes, one is probably ground. I am trying to adapt it to my Jeep wiring, which has the typical wiring for those square tail lights that Jeeps have. Does this help?

Ryan

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
jdjanda said:

God don't use that turd. Bosche are the only way to go. Pull a couple from Junkers anytime you are at the yard.
It's been handling a 20+ amp inductive load for 2 years now . . . hasn't broke yet!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts