Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 90' YJ with the AWESOME! (yeah right:flipoff2:) disconnect and i just poured money into my NP231 with an SYE kit. Im thinkin of upgrading the Dana 30 but am not sure. Does anyone know first hand if they are really that strong? Would the 30 spline chromoly shafts be worth the money? AND UHH...the product description on the 30 spline axles for the DANA 30 says that they eliminate the disconnect. Hows that?

BUT MOST OF ALL! IS there a way to eliminate the entire vacuum disconnect b.s. ENTIRELY so i can swap the front axle for a Dana 44? (any advice on possible D44 donors would be much appreciated)

Im doing the SOA SOON and swapping a Ford 8.8 in the rear. I just really need advice on where to go with the front. ANY HELP will be much appreciated.

thankz:mr-t:

·
Registered
530 Posts
Search is your friend. What tire size are you planning to run? I am assuming 33s atleast for a while? The 30 can handle that but if you are planning on going much bigger I would go to a 44. You can get rid of the vac set up fairly easy. Just find a D30 that doesn't have the vac set up and get the longside shaft. Put a seal in the passenger side (not sure of the PN) and make a blockoff plate for the vac housing. Just pick a 44 front end, they will all take work to get under the front of a YJ. Some more than others but ultimately non are bolt in and go.

·
Registered
331 Posts
that dana 30 hi pinion setup is hella strong for its size. with the chromos a guy in our club runs 35x14.50 boggers without breakage.

they fix the problem buy sending you a complete inner shaft for the passenger side. or for now you can just use a tj shaft. after that and another seal all you need to do is fab a block off plate

·
Registered
431 Posts
get a TJ shaft. it swaps right in. i did it. just have to make a cover for where the disconnect used to be. there are alot of write ups on this. search google or here n i know it'll come up. it helps to convert to locking hubs tho too

·
Registered
8,312 Posts
If you put a 44 up front, the bolt pattern will be different than your 8.8. The only 5 on 4.5 dana 44 that I'm aware of is out of a 70s Dodge with unit bearing hubs. It would work, but would be quite a bit wider than your 8.8, and the diff is on the wrong side. Just upgrade your 30 and have at it.
Travis..

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks to everyone who responded. Im just going to go all out, sell the 8.8, get a 9" and put a 44 in the front. AND WITH TIME, swap the NP231 for the ATLAS. I came to the conclusion the 30 aint worth the money.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts