Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK,

I'm in the market for a selectable locker as I regear my rear D44. OBA is a ways off for me and I'm not a big fan of Pneumatics so the ARB is out.

I searched for applied opinions and did not find much so I hope we can have a nice civil :flipoff2: debate on their respective merits without this turning into a Ford/chevy/jeep brand loyalty pissing contest.

Best prices and details I have seen are:

Ox- $720+ 89-99 for cable. Backordered into February. Still very new but some feedback (contradictory at best)Acts as Open Diff when not engaged Heavy duty machined diff cover One year Warrantee.

Elocker $749 complete with wiring. So new not much feedback. Acts as LS diff if not engaged, Unsure of the warranty

Offrotec locker- $689 Air activated- electric coming, SS cover, Fine German Craftmenship, Five year warranty

Eaton Elocker- not out yet.

This is going into a D300 equipped Cherokee Daily driver. I tow a trailer with it occasionally or I would think about spooling it. I'm not planning on competing so the concerns with stubborn engagement of the OX are not a real drawback for me.

The OX owners seem pretty happy with their choice and I will say the physical engagement of the locker is attractive.

I haven't heard much from anyone with the elocker except for shipping breakage issues with the connectors.

Anyone else know more about these?

Thanks,

Johann

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
We got one of the first electracs and it didn't work, we just sent it back and haven't heard what was wrong with it yet,
As far as OX goes, I wouldn't wait around for them, they might take a while to get some more product out, if they are even around for much longer. My money is on the eaton elocker when ever it comes out, supposed to be later this year.

·
Registered
130 Posts
My vote would be for the Elocker. You can get them for $720. They come with a bolt that locks the diff in case of solenoid failure. Proven detroit name. two year warrenty.

The only downsides I see are limited applications and the acuator being a little vunerable but it is covered by a 1/4" cover.

·
Premium Member
19,771 Posts
Eveyone i talked to with an OX has said it was junk, this was not 9 out of 10 people either, this was everyone.

ARB;s are prover great lockers, Man up and go PSSSST

·
Registered
10,490 Posts
welndmn said:

ARB;s are prover great lockers, Man up and go PSSSST
You left out the tattoo cost.:flipoff2:

Every person that buys a ARB should have "Are both my tires spinning?" put on their forehead for each ARB they have.:flipoff2:

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OS-your right! I did miss that one. I completely forgot about it. I must add it to the list above. Do you have one? Know someone who does?

GOAT1- good point about the potential of a start up like OX going out of Buisness. Hadn't thought of that. Detroit elocker +1 for that But -1 for mystery malfunction= back to zero. What didn't work- no engagement? pop out of engagment?

Don't know if I can wait for Eaton to get into the ring. This is going to be on the road this year

IndyCJ- I wrestled with that for a while. I don't like the lack of sectivity. I travel with this Jeep and will likely see ice/dry road combo so I don't want a reg detroit. I've heard spools are bad for tow vehicles so I think thats out. I want to install cutting brakes at some point too.

The installation of my D300 hinges on this D44 install. I'm lifting the jeep from 3 to 5.5" and putting this D44 in with rotated perches, raised shock mounts, and disc brakes.

All of this to get my "final" Driveshaft measurements. I guess I could fake it with a little math but I would rather get it right the first time.

Meanwhile the completed D300 (flipped) sits on my shop table mocking me! :D

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
61,972 Posts
ARB owner since 1995 - still happy :)

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Ox lockers will not give you trouble if the cable is adjusted properly. They are a little hard to get adjusted just right, but once you do them once you should never have to touch them again. Also, I can't really say how I know this, but OX is not in any danger of going out of business. They did screw a lot of people, including Drive Train Direct in a big way, but they are on the path to salvation so to speak. As for ARB's. IMHO, they are the best selectable locker out there. I plan to buy 4 of them in the next year and a half or so:D

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
as for the eaton e-locker and the detroit, they are limited slips until locked.

here is the main problem with the detroit, the actuating unit is built into the diff cover like the OX locker system. it is actuated by a fork assembly that goes through the diff cover to a solenoid unit.

The benefit of the Eaton is that it is a completely contained unit that fits into the normal space a locker takes up, no extra parts on the outside.

the bonus to having the actuating unit on the diff cover is the possibility of being able to actuate it with a screwdriver out on the trail if your wiring goes or the solenoid fries. with the eaton this would be impossible.

forget that air bullcrap, too much that could go wrong. you always have battery and wire hanging around. E-locker is good.

York compressors sound good too!! I like the idea of a tremendous huffing machine to run tools and things but the air locker is going to be a thing of the past in future buildups!!

here is the PDF brochure the for detroit e-locker

http://www.tractech.com/docs/DetroitElectrac.pdf

here is another link to eatons site....their setup looks VERY complicated and as we all know complicated can mean.....FRAGILE!! the Detroit is looking like the more durable of the two!!

DETROIT

EATON

ARB

I have never owned an ARBbut Everyone...and I mean just about everyone that I go wheeling with does own one and they all have one complaint or another about their performance or ease of install.

They never complain about the durability, lets just get that one out of the way. I have heard of very few people scatter an ARB due to pure abuse. it is usually due to snapping a shaft and overloading it on one side causing failure. On the same note, that is how most detroits are scattered too!!

I don't think the Eaton looks very stout, too many parts and internal actuation that is locked down through a series of pins to transfer torque does not look that reliable.

the detroit e-locker looks like another version of the OX to me. I haven't heard too many horror stories about the OX other than shifting mechanisms being troublsome.

In the end, the simplest machine allows for the beefiest parts. Beefiest parts means durability usually but not necessarily the easiest shifting.

Time will tell my friends.....:)

end of my discourse on selectable lockers!!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Johann, you didn't miss the one that OS posted a pic of, that's the Offrotec that you had listed, ala Daniel Tibus.

I'm getting two of those for my old Dodge. It's either that or the original Lockright, the 1210. Well, there are a few Detroits for the Chrysler 9 5/8 diff out there but few and far between and none are new. Regardless, the selectable locker is an easy choice for me despite the $$$.

I have a set of nice axleshafts from Daniel, he's good to do business with. I took a chance when he had not yet built his first set, sent $$$ and got an awesome set of axles.

Also, the locker can be actuated manually if you have a solenoid/air supply/line failure.

Ken

·
Registered
14,282 Posts
I like the looks of the Detroit Electrac... and the fact that it has the Detroit name behind it. I don't like the fact that the actuator is on the outside, and you have to use their diff cover.

ARB still seems to be the tried and true winner. I wish a few more people would buy that Electrac and use them/break them, etc, so there was a little more real world data on em!

Edited to use proper names and avoid confusion. ;)

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Just for the sake of eliminating any confusion....

The E Locker is Eaton's offering

Detroit's product is the Electrac

I am kinda partial to the Electrac myself because it's not an open diff when unlocked, and open diffs just suck.

Just out of curiosity, what problems are people having with the Ox? All the mags raved about how stout they were...........

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Charly said:
I used a manual pneumatic valve rather than the supplied solenoids.
Worked perfectly. [/B]
Plumb them this way off your OBA and it's a killer set up. Ends up costing less than some of the other selectable lockers and VERY few things to go wrong. Just pay attention to how you route your hose and you'll have no problems.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.