Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At a recent Ultra4 race a conversation started with several 4400 class guys about heim`s. We all talked about a number of different brands/suppliers.

I've been using the EMF stuff and really like it. Couple 4400 class guys commented that they were blowing the tops off what sounded like EMF. They couldn't recall the brand but the description sure did fit. And the EMF does have a threaded cap on top. So again, the description fits.

I`m old, fugly and slow so I am not too worried about shit failing on my own rig.

More out of curiosity, has anyone else had issues with the EMF`s ?

·
Registered
15,361 Posts
fwiw im not a racer but i pretend to be one and break a lot of parts, no problems with my emf chevy gm 1 ton style rod ends, broken several stock gm 1 ton tie rods though.

·
Premium Member
7,110 Posts
Call and ask Clay. He will tell you if any have failed. He would probably appreciate the feedback if there is a problem with his joints.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
How can someone Not remember the name of an EMF product that failed?
I mean, no fucking shit....they're one of the most expensive heims on the market, plus with the lead time, you know what you're waiting for:laughing:anyway it's worth it. The quality is top notch, and they have a great warranty. I can see the possibility of a failure, but i doubt it with the beef they bring. Unless you're using 7/8 heims on a 6k rig or more:shaking:

·
Premium Member
4,079 Posts
I call bullshit. There's a couple out there trying very hard to copy his stuff (enduro joints, TMR is trying something, and there's a couple others) but will always fail for a few reasons, but look similar. In short, no they didn't fail, if they are running them and they had problems, they likely mucked with them and did something. The one other possibility is that there are some of the older/original style joints with a slightly different retaining system, which had a tendency to come loose (same problem the other rebuildable joint mfg's have) over time, but he changed things around a long time ago and now his joints only come loose due to wear over time (also is how he is able to make ball joints now as well).

IIRC He's only ever had two joints fail, one was a monster truck using a small hiem as a steering joint that barely belonged on a jeep steering, and the other was one 4400 buggy bent a small joint (the stem), then bent it back and kept going and it eventually went.

The warthog, now "foss hog" that he built over a decade ago is still running one of the original sets.

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What can I say ?
I use and swear by the EMF joints. Have taken them apart and installed a different stem and found the ball and races to be like new.

Apparently the 4400 class racer guy drives but doesn't wrench much on his rig ???

He did mention that they tried welding the cap to the body but it still split open. Perhaps not one of the better ideas.

And I agree, for the cost of the EMF`s you would sure know what your running. FWIW the same guy stated that he was finding the Barnes supplied joint lasting the longest. Till Mustange70 mentioned it I didn't know there were wannabe`s out on the market.

Clay and Erin are standup folks. No doubt about that. Guess that`s why I even started this thread. To find the truth.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Only suspension joints I'll ever run. 5 seasons and just starting to need to tighten them up. On my trail buggy

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Only suspension joints I'll ever run. 5 seasons and just starting to need to tighten them up. On my trail buggy
Well, that's not true for me....I'll use the other joints for mockup and welding bungs in, I'd never use my emf joints for that.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
Did they quit making them? Website is down. Where do you buy them?
Website header says that joints are currently unavailable due to working through machining expansion.

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Website header says that joints are currently unavailable due to working through machining expansion.
It says that alot. I know it's hard to keep products up to par and finding help is tough but they need to get something going. Nearly all my joints are from them and I like them but the wait is killer. The stress from keeping up with orders and working 24/7 is not good for them.

I have had a couple small issues that never did get worked out but the joints are working so I'll fix the issues myself.

·
Premium Member
12,576 Posts
It says that alot. I know it's hard to keep products up to par and finding help is tough but they need to get something going. Nearly all my joints are from them and I like them but the wait is killer. The stress from keeping up with orders and working 24/7 is not good for them.

I have had a couple small issues that never did get worked out but the joints are working so I'll fix the issues myself.
I didn't want to be the first to say something but I didn't buy from them for my last buggy because of this same reason. It wasn't for lack of trying. They told me to keep calling back in two weeks, so I did that for 3 months without success. They said they were getting a new lathe set up. Ended up not being able to wait any longer and went with another brand. That was about 7 years ago.

That being said, "I once heard someone I don't know say that something might have went wrong with something that might have been EMF," is sketch and a shitty reason to drag their name up in a thread IMHO.

·
Registered
249 Posts
At a recent Ultra4 race a conversation started with several 4400 class guys about heim`s. We all talked about a number of different brands/suppliers.

I've been using the EMF stuff and really like it. Couple 4400 class guys commented that they were blowing the tops off what sounded like EMF. They couldn't recall the brand but the description sure did fit. And the EMF does have a threaded cap on top. So again, the description fits.

I`m old, fugly and slow so I am not too worried about shit failing on my own rig.

More out of curiosity, has anyone else had issues with the EMF`s ?
Hi guys, been about a hundred years since I've been on here. No my caps on the tie rods do not blow off. It's impossible with the spiral lock. Not only does it act as a thrust washer eliminating the rotational force on the cap which a set screw can't prevent turning during impact, it also stops the travel of the interior inserts from moving past the lock position. We've had tie rods on farm trucks traveling washboard gravel roads,chasing coyotes over pastures and calving with excess of 100 000 km on them. As well we've had guys rip the outer C'of the axle tube, endos, cart wheels. Guys that have ripped numerous arms off and never had a cap fall off or back out . They need to be tightened once in a while but that's about it. The odd pin has broken but that's due to ovalled holes in damaged arms which allows play to the point the end of the pin pops off. The 3/4 straight pin has never failed. There are other manufactures that have screw on caps but they haven't been able to prevent the caps from spinning out. That's what our patent protects. It's also what allows us to meet DOT and Transport Canada requirements.

·
Registered
249 Posts

What were your issues? We have a tech line that I basically sleep with now. 403 999 0592 I prefer texting so I don't have to quit machining and pictures always help.

We've been working on production. I did get that second lathe and it took me a year to figure out how to use it. Unfortunately we released ball joints this year and it created a huge demand. I've been working with other shops but I'm picky so many rejected parts. Also if I didn't have to keep patenting things I'd have a ton more money for inventory. But everyone rips everything off and runs to china so it's a hard go. I hate hearing people have to go else where. We are still making the joints. I'm just clearing the wait list right now and didn't want anyone else waiting. Currently I'm making inventory for vendors. They've fronted the money for stock so that should help. As well because our joints are the real deal heavy industry has started to use them on machinery. So the demand is even greater. No one gets pushed aside and no one is more important. I make them as I go.

I really appreciate all the support guys. It means a lot. Now back to the grinding wheel.

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well said Clay.

For obvious reasons that 4400 guy simply did not know what he was running.

Dragging EMF into was not a dick move IMHO. It cleared the air on a number of different subjects. The one thing that can be said for sure is that EMF makes a high quality product . Not only that but they stand behind their product 100%.

Again, I have EMF product and will continue to use EMF product for the very reasons we have gone over in this thread.

Hopefully I can find the guy at the KMC Ultra4 Kentucky event and get more info. Confident what I'll find is that he did not use an EMF product.

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
What were your issues? We have a tech line that I basically sleep with now. 403 999 0592 I prefer texting so I don't have to quit machining and pictures always help.
Adjustment spanner wrench for the medium joint I think, some replacement side adjustment washers, and ball width. I needed 2 wrenches and got 1 after a while, you were probably sleeping in a CNC machine somewhere. :flipoff2: Used washer to fix the ball width.

Like I said small issues. I'm very happy with your products!

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
IIRC He's only ever had two joints fail, one was a monster truck using a small hiem as a steering joint that barely belonged on a jeep steering, and the other was one 4400 buggy bent a small joint (the stem), then bent it back and kept going and it eventually went.
Honestly the first I've heard of any breaking. Need to save up for a set someday, but Evo's BJ's and steering on the tow rig are first.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts