Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I am looking to see if there are enclosed pole barn plans available to show how the walls are constructed to a steel truss pole building. Right now I have a car port pole barn and want to enclose it, with a garage door, insulation down the road. Contractors are quoting me around 15,000 for this which I don't have so I'm wanting to do it myself.

What I have is 24' by 24' and the 6x6's are 10' tall. So far I know that I will need to install longer 6x6's on the gable ends to attach girts to, or laminated 2x6s. Concrete slab is already poured. Attaching girts seems straight forward but framing the gable ends I'm not sure about. It's difficult to find pictures of this construction on a steel truss pole barn.

·
Premium Member
3,610 Posts
Shouldn't be hard, trusses and poles are taking the load, so all the walls need to do is support the sheeting/interior. For the gables just run a couple intermediate posts (4x4's is what I'd do) and then tie girts to the that and to the trusses. Same for the door - 4x4 on each side, and then just light framing above. Depending on width you may want a stronger header, but it's not load bearing so just need to be stiff enough to support the sheeting there (assuming door is supported on posts).

Pictures would help.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Or just build a stick frame wall

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
If insulation is planned, I would stick build the gable end walls, then run 2x4 purlins horiziontally on the walls and run your tin vertically on them.

Aaron Z

·
Registered
294 Posts
If insulation is planned, I would stick build the gable end walls, then run 2x4 purlins horiziontally on the walls and run your tin vertically on them.

Aaron Z
That's how the gable ends on my house (pole barn) is built.

I've always heard it called it lath/lathing when it's run horizontal and flat. Purlins are on the roof.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
That's how the gable ends on my house (pole barn) is built.

I've always heard it called it lath/lathing when it's run horizontal and flat. Purlins are on the roof.

You learn something new every day.
Apparently girts (boards that go across the wall for the tin to hang on) are what I was thinking of.

Aaron Z

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Sorry, wanted to post pics wasn't sure I was allowed.
So this is what I have and I also made a 3d model of what I think I should be doing, have no idea how to add the steel trusses to the model so pretending that they're there

Yes there is a small discrepancy with the small roof being there, probably have to cut it back

I appreciate it guys

·
Registered
887 Posts
i'd just stand up stud walls between the posts and throw siding on it
lot easier to run electrical, insulate and finish on the inside later
and probably only 10% more in materials than what you drew up

·
Registered
16,139 Posts
Frame it up like you sketched.

If you're putting in garage doors, I'd throw some 4x4's in there anchored to the concrete.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It will just be one garage door, so vertical 4x4s in-between the 6x6 posts to frame the rough opening? What should be used for header?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
It will just be one garage door, so vertical 4x4s in-between the 6x6 posts to frame the rough opening? What should be used for header?

Thanks
They used 2x12s for our 12' wide garage door, one on the inside and one on the outside of the 6x6 posts and a 2x6 nailed between them on the bottom (making a U shape).

Aaron Z

·
Registered
16,139 Posts
Header would be 2x12's. If you have 6x6 posts, then 3? 2x12's with 1/2" osb sandwiched in between to make it the right width?

I think that's pretty standard.

edit: For the garage door, I'd add in more 6x6's. As long as you have a way of anchoring it solidly to/through the concrete.

I was talking 4x4's for the man door, but you could frame that like a standard doorway opening.

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
Headers are there to move the load of anything above the header to the sides of the door opening. Your posts are already carrying the load of the roof. This framing is strictly to give the sheet steel something to be screwed to.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Headers are there to move the load of anything above the header to the sides of the door opening. Your posts are already carrying the load of the roof. This framing is strictly to give the sheet steel something to be screwed to.
And to mount the door torsion springs to...

Aaron Z

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I would definitely build a header. Screw 2x6's on the inside of the 6x6, use those to hold your header boards up, like a shelf.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts