Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I've got my SCB torn down and I want to pressure wash the block. The crank and pistons are still in it since the engine only had 40k on it and I'm pretty much just doing a reseal.
Is it safe to pressure wash the block with the crank and pistons still in it or should I pull them and pressure wash the bare block?

·
Premium Member
2,422 Posts
Yes. I'd put the oil pan back on, and wash it upside down trying not to completely soak the top end. Even though you'll probably end up getting it wet, it won't be catostrophic if you can manage to hand dry it before it air dries itself. After you're done, I'd run the crank with a large wrench or rathchet and wd-40 the cylinder walls, wrist pins and journals. Use high pressure air around the rings to completley blow the water out (working from the skirt side of the piston)

·
IH/Rover Moderator
20,917 Posts
Any de-greaser worth a shit will attack the aluminum in the pistons and the soft bearing material in the cam/main/rod bearings.

·
Registered
5,213 Posts
when I dooshed out my 425 I wiped the cylinder dry them paryed them with liquid wrench to displace any leftover water

·
Premium Member
2,422 Posts
Old Scout said:
Any de-greaser worth a shit will attack the aluminum in the pistons and the soft bearing material in the cam/main/rod bearings.
Use something like "citri-clean", or any other citrus based degreaser for good results. OS is right, pay close attention to the instructions; I've used "gunk" with good results on 208 and 241 AL. t-cases, but never payed attention to whether or not it's ok to use on aluminum.

·
Registered
13,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a rotary nozzle for my pressure washer so I really wasn't going to use much of a de-greaser seeing as how the pressure washer will strip paint on it's own.:D
The inside of the engine is clean as a whistle it's the outside that's dirty as hell from sitting for the past 7 years.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
ForestCam said:
I have a rotary nozzle for my pressure washer so I really wasn't going to use much of a de-greaser seeing as how the pressure washer will strip paint on it's own...
What are the psi/gpm/hp specs on your pressure washer. I need some paint stripping power.
Travis

1 - 7 of 7 Posts