Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
My first rebuild....$3500 into a SBC 350....backed out out of the shop after tuning, locked in the hubs, smoked all 4 for 2 blocks straight, then unlocked the hubs, and hit over 100 mph.

drive it day one like you plan to use it for the rest of your life. Got 6 HARD years of muddin/wheelin/racin/drivin out of that motor before I tossed another rebuild kit....

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
It all really depends on what you are building. If you have $3500 in a SBC more then likely you need to do just what woody did. If your buildng a mostly stock motor with cast rings your asking to rebuild it again if you do that.

Just my $.02

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
It depends on the rings and the cam/lifter combo your using - try that method on a cast ring, rough cam with flat tappet lifters combo and you'll be hurting - that combo needs the "easy break in" - ie try not to run a constant speed for too long and don't lug or fully open up the engine for the first oil change ~300-500 miles. (up to the first 1500 miles if your using really "economical" parts)
If you put some higher end componets in then you don't have to worry as much - ie moly rings and roller cams don't need much break-in.
BTW - if your using up the cross hatch in your engine in the first 20miles, you have some serious friction issues. I've torn down many engines with 40k+ miles on them and most of them (if they were treated well) still had the cross hatch in the cylinder wall.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts