Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Engine difference compairison in jeep or other similar size truck.

Weight, Size, Horsepower difference between the two ???

Some days its fullbore others not!!

·
Get Off My Lawn
13,255 Posts
Which V6? Huge difference in the power curve of a 4.3 Vortec and a 3.6 Chrysler

Generally speaking: the V6 will have it's power at the top end with less torque and more RPM potential.

The 4BT will lug around making lots of torque down low and having pretty underwhelming horsepower at higher RPM's.

It's really going to come down to your use case as to which will feel more powerful even if peak figures were identical. Both offer completely different power deliveries.

Can you give more information to what kind of answers you seek?

·
Premium Member
4,936 Posts
I thought jeeps were I6s and not V's.:confused:

The I6 will give a different power curve than a V6. I6s aren't really revers but more like tractor engines(lug).

The biggest complaint I've heard about the 4bt is it will shake the vehicle apart along with the fillings out of your teeth.

I don't wheel with diesel rigs so I won't go with a diesel offroad build:homer:

Wikipedia on 4bt and jeep engines will give you all the power levels you want. I haven't had good luck with google giving me consistent numbers for dimensions or weights of engines. (re: Duramax)

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Buick V6 is whats in my 1969 CJ5 at the moment, was wondering what the weight difference and horsepower is mostly, didnt factor in power band.

I suppose the gearing would be a change between the two also.

Also was thinking of swapping the buick v6 for something im more familiar with the chevy v6.

·
Premium Member
4,936 Posts
The Buick V6 is whats in my 1969 CJ5 at the moment, was wondering what the weight difference and horsepower is mostly, didnt factor in power band.

I suppose the gearing would be a change between the two also.

Also was thinking of swapping the buick v6 for something im more familiar with the chevy v6.
I think I tossed my Chevy V6 build book but I recall them saying Chevy V6 mostly equivalent to Buick and same 'hop up' theories apply to either.

The newer Chevy 4.3s are in the 180/190hp range and ~240 ft-lbs. Roughly weighs 375lbs (one of a few engines I've got in a spread sheet) I like but don't like the engine. I've got one in my 2000 S10 that will probably end up in an FJ40 only because it is free when I no-op the S10.

I don't know the Buick numbers but the Chevy V6 really feels like a side grade and not really worth time/money to do. Aside from EFI, I don't see the 'upgrade'.

·
Registered
12,603 Posts
I don't see why everyone thinks a 4bt is a great engine for a little jeep or Toyota. It's a huge engine, weighs about the same as a big block and is tall. It's all the same parts as the 1000 lb 6bt in a ram, just minus 2 cyl.

I think it's a cool fit for a 1/2 ton or bronco type rig. For a small jeep I'd be looking at ~2.5L sized isuzu, Toyota, kabota, ect.

·
Registered
12,603 Posts
Also, a 4.3 is a great engine. I always thought they were lame on paper, untill I owned a 96 Sonoma. That truck was actually pretty quick and even towed decent for a little truck.

A little CJ5 would be a rocket with the right year 4.3.

·
Premium Member
4,936 Posts
Also, a 4.3 is a great engine. I always thought they were lame on paper, untill I owned a 96 Sonoma. That truck was actually pretty quick and even towed decent for a little truck.

A little CJ5 would be a rocket with the right year 4.3.
I haven't cast any shade on the 4.3L other than to say it feels like a side grade over your current... especially if you are going to pay for one ;)

The only time I really cast a large amount of shade is when people want to pay as much as an LS to install them into something that an LS will fit fine(ex: FJ40s)

I'm currently running a 2000 S10 with 4.3L and manual. The attached picture shows big/stupid load :eek: It pulled it 'fine' but sure wouldn't win a race or get 'great' mpg.

The s10 to me has seat of pants feel-able more power over a similar outfitted 2002 Tacoma with 3.4L that I own. They are both rated in the 190hp range and the S10 has ~20 more ft-lbs. A big difference is the S10 numbers are 400-500rpm lower ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
12,603 Posts
I haven't cast any shade on the 4.3L other than to say it feels like a side grade over your current... especially if you are going to pay for one ;)

The only time I really cast a large amount of shade is when people want to pay as much as an LS to install them into something that an LS will fit fine(ex: FJ40s)

I'm currently running a 2000 S10 with 4.3L and manual. The attached picture shows big/stupid load :eek: It pulled it 'fine' but sure wouldn't win a race or get 'great' mpg.

The s10 to me has seat of pants feel-able more power over a similar outfitted 2002 Tacoma with 3.4L that I own. They are both rated in the 190hp range and the S10 has ~20 more ft-lbs. A big difference is the S10 numbers are 400-500rpm lower ;)
The problem with the V8 is that it's can be a snowball effect in certain rigs. Toyota's are good examples. You have a well built 4cyl toyota and want a little more power, a 4.3 and a 5.3 can probably be done for similar costs, but most guys could probably run the 4.3 without having to upgrade the entire drivetrain. Unless the driver is very conservative the 5.3 is different story.

Same could be said about a small jeep or a rig with half ton drivetrain. I have my 1 ton axles and built toyota cases that I salvaged from my burnt 4runner, my buddy has a 4.3/th350/toy case adapter set up that he is selling I'm thinking about picking up. I feel like the 4.3 has the perfect amount of power for most wheelers. But maybe not enough to blow the tcases up :laughing:

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
The Buick V6 is whats in my 1969 CJ5 at the moment,
I had the Buick 225 and TH400 in my 69 Jeepster. It was pretty gutless with 31s at Colorado elevation.

I put a Holley 390cfm and weiand intake and a more aggressive Isky camshaft on the little guy. Woke it up nicely, it would break the tires loose at the start and chirp them going into second.

·
Premium Member
4,936 Posts
The problem with the V8 is that it's can be a snowball effect in certain rigs. Toyota's are good examples. You have a well built 4cyl toyota and want a little more power, a 4.3 and a 5.3 can probably be done for similar costs, but most guys could probably run the 4.3 without having to upgrade the entire drivetrain. Unless the driver is very conservative the 5.3 is different story.

Same could be said about a small jeep or a rig with half ton drivetrain. I have my 1 ton axles and built toyota cases that I salvaged from my burnt 4runner, my buddy has a 4.3/th350/toy case adapter set up that he is selling I'm thinking about picking up. I feel like the 4.3 has the perfect amount of power for most wheelers. But maybe not enough to blow the tcases up :laughing:
Good points. But I never felt Toyota minitrucks fit V8s very well without a lot of work ;)

I liked my old FJ40 with 1988 Camaro 5.0L TBI engine ;) I never broke axles or tcase. The green Toyota in the picture has a 6.0L Vortec with upgraded axles. The brown Toyota is getting a turbo 5.3L... obviously 1 ton swapped ;)

While wheeling, I'm technical and not abusive. On road, no so much:evil:

·
Registered
12,603 Posts
Good points. But I never felt Toyota minitrucks fit V8s very well without a lot of work ;)

I liked my old FJ40 with 1988 Camaro 5.0L TBI engine ;) I never broke axles or tcase. The green Toyota in the picture has a 6.0L Vortec with upgraded axles. The brown Toyota is getting a turbo 5.3L... obviously 1 ton swapped ;)

While wheeling, I'm technical and not abusive. On road, no so much:evil:
Also good points, v6 is great for packaging.

I'm pretty good in rocks, I like to try hard obstacles, but I don't really thrash on my stuff. In the snow, it's balls out :laughing:

·
Premium Member
1,636 Posts
I have a built 225 v6 oddfire of all 4 of my rigs its the best engine. 4.3 vortec, 89 350, 383 stroker, but It all depends on what your building your Jeep for, the 225 has big torque at 400 RPM, the other motors like to run around 900/1100 RPM. The 225 is a lot more fence full in a technical rock garden. The big rigs just pound through.

·
Premium Member
1,636 Posts
The little rig in front has the 225 the two rigs in the back have V8s the 225 will crawl circles around the big rigs on the Rubicon. The CJ-5 4.3 is stock with headers in the garage it's the wife's mall crawler low RPM sucks on it. with a torque cam I'm sure would be a big improvement. O the ECM was reflashed to.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,936 Posts
The little rig in front has the 225
<snip>
The CJ-5 4.3 is stock with headers in the garage it's the wife's mall crawler low RPM sucks on it. with a torque cam I'm sure would be a big improvement. O the ECM was reflashed to.
How modded up is the 225?

Which version of the 4.3? TBI or vortec?

The 4.3L in my 2000 S10 can idle down... I'm sure there are some mods that could help with that.

I haven't found 'great' support on the 4.3L Vortec... but then again, 15 year old engine that isn't a V8 so not surprising ;) I haven't found an intake.

If the 4.3L ends up in my FJ40, I'm trying to find 'grunt' mods... not sure what cam is "the" cam to get. Most of the recommendations I've seen on a cam are 'racing' to rev to the sky. I've debated a turbo for a little extra but the plastic intake is concerning. It also isn't clear what low end support is available.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts