Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
Looking forward to stuffing a nice drivetrain into this jeep or just selling off the whole thing and dealing with my □ bodied chevys.

I was somewhat enterprising young man when i was young as its said i once was, young that is.

Driving around in LA (on the 605 NB from memory )i lost the clutch linkage in the 1960 or so cj5 i owned at the time and stole the chain that held the freeway call box door, hooked it up in place of the clutch linkage that had fallen off at the time.

·
Registered
12,603 Posts
Looking forward to stuffing a nice drivetrain into this jeep or just selling off the whole thing and dealing with my □ bodied chevys.

I was somewhat enterprising young man when i was young as its said i once was, young that is.

Driving around in LA (on the 605 NB from memory )i lost the clutch linkage in the 1960 or so cj5 i owned at the time and stole the chain that held the freeway call box door, hooked it up in place of the clutch linkage that had fallen off at the time.
My new neighbors have jeeps, his dad has 2 CJ5's, I'll ask them if the know someone interested. Yours looks pretty nice actually, I just looked at the classified ad but already forgot the price.....

·
Premium Member
19,797 Posts
I've had both even and odd fire Buick V6's no matter what I did to them they were always gutless.

·
Registered
12,603 Posts

My new neighbors have jeeps, his dad has 2 CJ5's, I'll ask them if the know someone interested. Yours looks pretty nice actually, I just looked at the classified ad but already forgot the price.....

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
6K, comes with an extra Dana 18 1.250 shaft t case and has a Warn OD on t case.

Rebuilding your place in magalia or selling it off ?

Selling this place as soon as paperwork is clear.

·
Registered
12,603 Posts
6K, comes with an extra Dana 18 1.250 shaft t case and has a Warn OD on t case.

Rebuilding your place in magalia or selling it off ?

Selling this place as soon as paperwork is clear.
We were renting the place that burned. I wouldn't have rebuilt.

Need to finish up some loose ends and then we are planning to leave CA.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
I haven't found 'great' support on the 4.3L Vortec... but then again, 15 year old engine that isn't a V8 so not surprising ;) I haven't found an intake.
You won't find much. There seems to be about 20 or so different cams for them, but no heads or intakes as far as I can tell. There are some parts available simply because they make them for the v8 and they just happen to fit. I searched the net for info on cams for the v6 and found little info. It seems most guys don't bother doing any mods to the v6 since they can just swap it to a v8.

I put a 97-99 4.3 in my 4runner project. To me it has tons of torque down low, what it lacks is horsepower on the highway. At some point I'd like to swap the cam out to see if I can get it to breath a bit better on the highway.

Luckily I got it done and legal just in time for the rona to show up so I have yet to really wheel it.

Kevin

·
Premium Member
1,636 Posts
How modded up is the 225?

Which version of the 4.3? TBI or vortec?

The 4.3L in my 2000 S10 can idle down... I'm sure there are some mods that could help with that.

I haven't found 'great' support on the 4.3L Vortec... but then again, 15 year old engine that isn't a V8 so not surprising ;) I haven't found an intake.

If the 4.3L ends up in my FJ40, I'm trying to find 'grunt' mods... not sure what cam is "the" cam to get. Most of the recommendations I've seen on a cam are 'racing' to rev to the sky. I've debated a turbo for a little extra but the plastic intake is concerning. It also isn't clear what low end support is available.
The 225 had the block decked 15k? RV low end cam, HEI distributor, edelbrock, intake with 4 to 2 barrow adaptor, Rochester 2G carb, headers, at 400RPM it will slowly spin 37" tire on granet, but that has a lot to do with gearing 118.1
The 1956 CJ-5 is a 96? TBI it has cold air intake, headers, all smog removed, and Speed Sean Engineering rebuilt the wireing harness and reflashed the ECM.
Personally, these 2 motors are to small for your FJ40, I would go with a 350 crate short block motor with set of cheep $800.00 short runner aluminum heads, and a Crane CL12-231-2 torque cam, and Holly Sniper EFI, 300HP and 375 torque, +- Just my 0.2

·
Premium Member
4,936 Posts
You won't find much. There seems to be about 20 or so different cams for them, but no heads or intakes as far as I can tell. There are some parts available simply because they make them for the v8 and they just happen to fit. I searched the net for info on cams for the v6 and found little info. It seems most guys don't bother doing any mods to the v6 since they can just swap it to a v8.
That kind of mirrors what I found. I'm not hugely worries on the heads but the intake would be nice ;)

<snip good info>
The 1956 CJ-5 is a 96? TBI it has cold air intake, headers, all smog removed, and Speed Sean Engineering rebuilt the wireing harness and reflashed the ECM.
Personally, these 2 motors are to small for your FJ40, I would go with a 350 crate short block motor with set of cheep $800.00 short runner aluminum heads, and a Crane CL12-231-2 torque cam, and Holly Sniper EFI, 300HP and 375 torque, +- Just my 0.2
I'm never clear on all the variations of the 4.3L based upon year:confused:

The only real reason I'm considering the 4.3L vortec is because it is free and good shape ;) If I was buying an engine, I'd just go LSx... I've already got two of em :homer:

My 4.3L moves the little S10 pretty well with 180/190 hp so I think it'd do pretty well with non-hardtopped 40. Hell the under powered 5.0L TBI(L03) FJ40 was only rated at 170hp/255ft-lbs. It ran around pretty well and is roughly the same power of my current 4.3 :eek:

·
Registered
12,603 Posts
Before anyone tries to spend a bunch on a 4.3. Look at the 2015+ version. All aluminum, still pushrod, 300hp, basically an ls3 with 2 cyl chopped off.

·
Registered
12,603 Posts
Been planning this move for more than 20 years.
I'd say you're doing it wrong then :flipoff2:

We've been looking for about 6 or so years, we couldn't do it back then because we didn't want to take the kids from their grandparents. The fire basically forced everyone to make a decision, now the grand parents and auntie are on board.

·
Premium Member
4,936 Posts
Before anyone tries to spend a bunch on a 4.3. Look at the 2015+ version. All aluminum, still pushrod, 300hp, basically an ls3 with 2 cyl chopped off.
Last I checked, the 4.3L "LSx" had a lot of zeros associated with it.:homer:

As I've noted, if my 4.3L Vortec wasn't free, I'd go another route.

·
Registered
7,364 Posts
The Buick V6 is whats in my 1969 CJ5 at the moment, was wondering what the weight difference and horsepower is mostly, didnt factor in power band.

I suppose the gearing would be a change between the two also.

Also was thinking of swapping the buick v6 for something im more familiar with the chevy v6.
did you really ponder if a 4bt in a cj5 was a good idea? :homer::laughing:

·
Registered
12,603 Posts
Last I checked, the 4.3L "LSx" had a lot of zeros associated with it.:homer:

As I've noted, if my 4.3L Vortec wasn't free, I'd go another route.
Ya, but so does building a 4.3.

I'm hoping they come down in price. I mean they've only been around for a few years. I'm wondering what wrecking yards will ask. You'd think most people would just go for a V8.

·
Premium Member
4,936 Posts
Ya, but so does building a 4.3.

I'm hoping they come down in price. I mean they've only been around for a few years. I'm wondering what wrecking yards will ask. You'd think most people would just go for a V8.
Depends upon what level of build on the old 4.3L ;) A simple cam and header are pretty cheap and usually are budgeted in the swap.

I'm not sure on current pricing but quick car-part look is showing ~$1800+ for engines that look like they might be 'swap ready' pull outs.

FWIW, back in 2008, I paid roughly the same for a 30k mile LQ4(6.0L) that was truly swap ready(wiring, pcm, filter housing, cats/exhaust, radiator/ac, etc) Literally, all I really had to do was strip the wiring down a little bit, flash out VAT, and fire it up ;)

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Had special needs child to raise.

Responsibility took precedence.

I'd say you're doing it wrong then :flipoff2:

We've been looking for about 6 or so years, we couldn't do it back then because we didn't want to take the kids from their grandparents. The fire basically forced everyone to make a decision, now the grand parents and auntie are on board.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts