Pirate 4x4 banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #41 (Edited)
No...Just was looking for input,

A 427 BBC is desired but a v6 is more practical.

IMO a 4bt is better suited for a 3/4T 4wd Chevy.

did you really ponder if a 4bt in a cj5 was a good idea? :homer::laughing:

·
Registered
12,603 Posts
Depends upon what level of build on the old 4.3L ;) A simple cam and header are pretty cheap and usually are budgeted in the swap.

I'm not sure on current pricing but quick car-part look is showing ~$1800+ for engines that look like they might be 'swap ready' pull outs.

FWIW, back in 2008, I paid roughly the same for a 30k mile LQ4(6.0L) that was truly swap ready(wiring, pcm, filter housing, cats/exhaust, radiator/ac, etc) Literally, all I really had to do was strip the wiring down a little bit, flash out VAT, and fire it up ;)
$1800 ain't shit, I thought they were more. Do you think you can get 300 hp out of an old 4.3 for less?

6.0s are dumb, my father in law was just shopping lq4 and lq9's, people want $2500 for a 250k mile take out. He found one with a blown HG for $2100 :laughing: he ended up grabbing a whole 2010 escalade with a aluminum 6.2/6l80e.

half the people i know leaving ca are going to idaho, that place will be packed full within 10yrs :laughing:

its 3rd on my list :flipoff2:
It's still not even a fraction as crowded as CA. I'm hoping they get some real winters again and flush some of the yuppies out. I do know a lot of people are moving to Boise area, f that.

·
blatant asshole
12,112 Posts
The little rig in front has the 225 the two rigs in the back have V8s the 225 will crawl circles around the big rigs on the Rubicon. The CJ-5 4.3 is stock with headers in the garage it's the wife's mall crawler low RPM sucks on it. with a torque cam I'm sure would be a big improvement. O the ECM was reflashed to.
Tims sister ;)

Attachments

·
Get Off My Lawn
13,255 Posts
3.9 Magnum from an old Dakota? Back it with any Jeep trans and T-case. Super simple TBI system. All the accessories cross. They're basically $1k with the donor truck.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
It might be too heavy but if cummings made a dual turbo V8BT.

That should be a good displacement to use in a one ton Chevy truck.

Any opinions on that ?

·
Premium Member
29,441 Posts
The s10 to me has seat of pants feel-able more power over a similar outfitted 2002 Tacoma with 3.4L that I own. They are both rated in the 190hp range and the S10 has ~20 more ft-lbs. A big difference is the S10 numbers are 400-500rpm lower ;)
curb weight differences?

·
Premium Member
4,936 Posts
$1800 ain't shit, I thought they were more. Do you think you can get 300 hp out of an old 4.3 for less?

6.0s are dumb, my father in law was just shopping lq4 and lq9's, people want $2500 for a 250k mile take out. He found one with a blown HG for $2100 :laughing: he ended up grabbing a whole 2010 escalade with a aluminum 6.2/6l80e.
As I said, I don't know if my 'average' from Rancho Cordova of $1800 is realistic or not for a complete swap ready engine.

I know that I did pay ~$1800 from a Rancho Cordova junkyard for a swap ready 30k mile LQ4.

As with most things, you will find extreme prices out both ends. I can't recall the number of people claiming they got their LQ4's for $500 complete:confused:

I've almost considered something like the 3.6L LFX. 300hp/260ft-lbs at ~345lbs weight. In older looking, I've seen ready to swap in the $500 range.

curb weight differences?
No idea but I wouldn't think that extra cab vs regular would make a difference in the butt dyno. My S10 is the 'lower' 180hp version of 4.3L. Tacoma's 3.4 were 190hp.

·
Registered
12,603 Posts
Is it really that hard to fix? I've never looked at the 3800 but you can flip a lot of V-engine manifolds around with nothing but some grinding.
Think about how a supercharger works :flipoff2:

curb weight differences?
Ours was an ex cab auto 4x4, power windows and locks

My buddy had a Tacoma, ex cab, 5 spd, 4x4, power windows and locks.

Both were stock and had fairly low miles ~100k, we raced from a stop to about 75 mph. The auto pulled him off the line about a truck and a half, I was expecting him to pass me once we got up in speed, but he couldn't catch me or even close the gap at all.

I didn't blow his doors off, but I was surprised that the 4.3 pulled him.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts