Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey i swapped a 5mge into my truck.

i have the factory sr5 tach hooked up but it seems really high. is there a way to make this work right? can i just pop off the needle and reposition it?

or do i need to put a diode in?

thanks

·
Registered
807 Posts
You cant just reposition the needle becuase it will "rev up" 1.5 times as fast as well. (6cyl vs.4cyl) You need to get a 5k potentiometer (variable resistor) from radioshack.

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
can you just pop off the neddle and reposition it?

i could probably do that on my speedo too?

·
Registered
928 Posts
miniyota said:
can you just pop off the neddle and reposition it?

i could probably do that on my speedo too?
No dood. Unless you had a 6 cylender engine in there to begin with, the 5m (6 cyl) engine sends 6 puleses to your tach per revolution whereas your 4 cyl engine send 4 pules per revolution.

SO if your guage is expecting 4 pules per rev, but obviously your new 6 cyl engine requires 6 pules per rev, your tach is reporting one rev when your engine is only 2/3 through its first rev. Do not be a douche and just move the needle. You will still have an inaccurate tach. As for the speedo, well if your truck is older than an 89, it should be a cable Speedo hooked up to your same T-case, in which case you shouldn't have to adjust anything at all.

In summary, do not move the needle on anything. Go read that FAQ on tach mods, grab your sodering iron, go to radio shack, get the potientometer from radio shack and fix your shit and be stoked you got it to work.

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
okay

so one more question. i'll probably just do the tach mod. if i had a 2nd gen v6 tach it should be right on the money.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Done it! Bought it off ebay. Not a perfect fit, you will need to do some minor trimming inside the cluster body. Bolts in to flex harness no problem.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
How about the wiring? I guess I should have more clear - installing an '84-'88 6 cyl. SR5 gauge cluster into a '84-'88 22RE equipped truck (that still has the 22RE in it).

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
does anyone know what the resistance is for a 6 cylinder?

i walked all over the bone yard looking for a v6 tach with no luck. since i don't have any access to a tach i still can't set this thing right. i'd like to know how fast i'm spinning this motor! thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts