Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a 1972 CJ6 with no motor. This is my new project and with so many choices of a motor here, I am looking for some help. I am not sure on how much I want to spend on motor tranny etc. Just looking for some ideas...

·
Registered
445 Posts
I think you are going to find that it depends a lot on what you are wanting from your jeep.

Daily driver
Budget
Auto vs manual
Front axle diff location
Tire size

Just a few thing to consider, as it is all a package.

·
Premium Member
2,914 Posts
^ plus skills. Just about every engine combination has been done in a CJ from diesels to V8s. We need more information to give you any ideas.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Without more info. I would lean to either a 225/231 Buick V6 or a 4.3 GM V6.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
More details about the vehicle. Depending what it originaly came with and what trans/bellhousing it currently has will determine whats easiest to go in. If it originally came with a straight six and has an amc bellhousing, then a 4.0 out of a newer jeep is easy to bolt in. Of course anything is possible, given enough time, money and knowledge.

Kevo

·
Registered
179 Posts
Balls out fuel injected 572 or lx3 with a huffer !! GO BIG OR GO HOME !! Haha ! ! But really ... 4.3 , 350 or 383 if you're a Chevy guy, 302 Ho or 351w if you're a ford guy, 318 or 360 or maybe a heimi if you're a mopar guy.
The choices are up to you, your budget, and MOST important your skills.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Information

Here is the added information, I picked up the jeep without a motor and tranny so all options are open. I have a line on a 5.3 liter vortec with all the goods computer etc. my front axle I want to use is drivers drop and Dana 44 I already have. Looking at an atlas transfer case as well. There are so many options just looking at all my options.

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
5.3's are a great motor for a CJ. I would go with that.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I just picked up a 1972 CJ6 with no motor. This is my new project and with so many choices of a motor here, I am looking for some help. I am not sure on how much I want to spend on motor tranny etc. Just looking for some ideas...
Try to build the lightest CJ this board has ever seen. Get an aluminum engine like a 3.6 V6 out of a late model JK (lighter than a 2.4 4 cylinder) and mate it to a NSG370 6 speed with a flipped D-300. Dana 30 front with a Dana 44 rear leaf sprung and some tall, but skinny "light" tires and wheels. Take everything heavy off the jeep you don't need. Try to keep it under 3,500 lbs.

Then go spank all these 8,000 lbs+ overbuilt POS's on the trails.:)

·
Snooty Poser
1,121 Posts
Any thoughts about the frame? Since it's a '72, it's open channel behind the front springs. They tend to get pretty sad with much power. Might want to think about beefing it up before you go too far with an engine/tranny/t-case install.

I love a nice CJ-6, though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts