Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where are you guys putting them? For our KOH Jeep we got a nice Autometer Mechanical gauge, but I'm not exactly sure where to plumb it in. I haven't looked real close, but I dont think there's a location in the block for the probe to thread in. My first thought is to simply drop the pan and TIG in a threaded bung, but then I'd be gettin the temp of the oil in the pan, not the oil in the motor. Not sure if that matters or not as I've never had an oil temp gauge. Also not sure what a normal oil temp is :homer:

·
Change is good.
35,183 Posts
Keep in mind that any sender that is mounted in the block is going to get a certain amount of heat soak, whereas that's a lot less likely in the pan. The pump is moving such a volume, that I wouldn't worry about the difference between what's in the pan and what's in a given oil passage. Also the oil in the pan is essentially the "average" of what's in the engine.

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
Where are you guys putting them? For our KOH Jeep we got a nice Autometer Mechanical gauge, but I'm not exactly sure where to plumb it in. I haven't looked real close, but I dont think there's a location in the block for the probe to thread in. My first thought is to simply drop the pan and TIG in a threaded bung, but then I'd be gettin the temp of the oil in the pan, not the oil in the motor. Not sure if that matters or not as I've never had an oil temp gauge. Also not sure what a normal oil temp is :homer:
Ditch the gauge. It's not like your going to stop if it gets hot:D

·
Premium Member
2,832 Posts
On an inline 6 banger in a jeep the stock oil pressure sensor is a 1/8th npt port. you could T into that to do oil pressure and oil temp.

·
Registered
8,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
On an inline 6 banger in a jeep the stock oil pressure sensor is a 1/8th npt port. you could T into that to do oil pressure and oil temp.
This is a mechanical gauge, ya know the kind with the big ass probe on the end of a flexible cable thingie. The tip of the probe wont even fit in a 1/8"npt hole much less the fitting that tightens it in. I think the adapter that comes with it is 1/2" NPT. Sounds like the pan is a suitable place, so that's where it'll go.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts