Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't want to start a Chevy/Ford debate with this loaded question but looking for some reasonable feedback.
I like the Chevy 350TBI with a 700R4 backing it up that i see many jeeps running.
So are there any Bronco's out there running a similar setup? My reason for this is that i think it's a simple engine and has a good OD low 1st tranny.
thanks for all feedback.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
you could also do a 5.0sefi with a 700r4. The 5.0 swap from a mustang is fairly easy and has been done alot, and a 351 SEFI is also a very viable option too and has been done by many people also. As far as the TBI vs SEFI - I'd much prefer the SEFI and I think there are more aftermarket options for it as well (being a Ford guy, I may be incorrect there)

For the 700r4 conversion Kincade (who I think is on here also) developed the conversion adapters for the 700r4 to Ford small block.

·
Registered
18 Posts
If simplicity is important, there were 5.0s & 5.8s with TBI also and would be an easier bolt in thant the chev, even with the 700r4 adapter. I also agree with BRS that the SEFI is better. The only advantage to the sb chev is that rebuildable blocks are a dime a dozen.

·
Registered
200 Posts
why not go w/ a c4 mated to a dana 20 it will bolt in and up to a 302 or 351? if you must have overdrive the 700r4 is a good idea but it is a heavier and bigger transmission and will need more thought put into a cooling system for this trans as it develops a lot of heat compared to a c4. the 350 tbi is a nice engine but is heavier than a ford 302 i had a 350 tbi engine and a 302 efi, i went the 302 c4 dana 20 route,,,just my .02$...
on a side note the tbi has advantages as it is much easier to diagnose and repair than any other fuel inj. engines...also stay away from fords cfi which is their tbody inj as it sucks!

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Go for it. The 700R4 is a great trans and TBI chevys are cheap and easy to find. Some people will be disgusted that you have bastardized your bronco, but if that doesn't bother you then just do it. Remember all the accesories will have to go with the TBI stuff radiator hoses will have to be sorted out power steering lines adapted, oil pan don't know what one will work. etc. Just the standard engine swap stuff, no big deal.

·
Registered
16 Posts
i have an EB for sale with a 5.0 motor. I went with the NP 435 maunal tranny and a dana 20 transfer case with the tera low kit. Imagine holding your foot on the brake fairly hard, then starting your truck without touching the clutch and your 33X14 boggers start spinng....is that low enough? and for only 10grand it can be yours

·
Registered
43 Posts
box c6

e4od out of abox van . Install 1st and 2nd gear out of a c6 box van . There you have alow gear 4spead auto . Sell 350 get windsor .

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
i have an EB for sale with a 5.0 motor. I went with the NP 435 maunal tranny and a dana 20 transfer case with the tera low kit. Imagine holding your foot on the brake fairly hard, then starting your truck without touching the clutch and your 33X14 boggers start spinng....is that low enough? and for only 10grand it can be yours
Try the Rock Eater gears in the T-case at 4.86:1. That is 135:1 final...I have that and would sell mine for less than 10G's in a second.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts