Pirate 4x4 banner

81 - 100 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
I also do not recall seeing a weight for the lv3, anyone that has one care to comment?
I have not seen a weight....on the stand, it seems lighter than other motors I have dealt with on stands. I don't have an easy way of weighing it. there is some coolant in the block as well.

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
Bump, I know that this thread turned heavily towards the lv3. I'm more interested in the smaller Dohc engines, mostly the 3.6, 3.2 or 2.8. Hoping to find a small, light, 200+ Hp v6 to put a 4l60e behind.
My next build will have a 3.6 in it. Small, narrow motor with good power.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Does anyone know on the LV3 if you can flip the air intake 180 degrees so you can put the air filter on the transmission side of the drivetrain?
We flipped the intake on the LV3 going in the JHF this past weekend.

-Dremel out the intake ribs for the fuel pressure line to clear
-Heat and push in the bottom of the intake to clear the high pressure fuel pump
-Machine a 1/2" spacer to get the TB to clear the MAP sensor port (had to rotate TB 180* so the big cast motor is on bottom as it was hitting chassis)

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
We flipped the intake on the LV3 going in the JHF this past weekend.

-Dremel out the intake ribs for the fuel pressure line to clear
-Heat and push in the bottom of the intake to clear the high pressure fuel pump
-Machine a 1/2" spacer to get the TB to clear the MAP sensor port (had to rotate TB 180* so the big cast motor is on bottom as it was hitting chassis)
Yup!

We picked a motor and discovered the same. We used a 180 degree AN adapter and ran the fuel line out the back of the motor so no need to worry about the fuel line. I was unaware of TB spacer though.

We are waiting to get the motor in place before we make the decision on which direction to orient the air intake. I can't put it in until I get the rest of my LT1 accessories :/

·
Premium Member
4,936 Posts
I've got a few questions about the LFX(3.6) engine. I'm thinking of using one in an S10(2nd gen)

1) How many different intakes are there for the engine? In looking at a Malibu, it appears to feed offset on the back.
2) What manual transmissions can get adapted? Will the NV3550 I currently have with the correct bellhousing work? Or even be up to the abuse? My quick looking showed that the Camaro version came with a manual but I'm not 100% certain.
3) How much boost could the LFX take? Will bottom end take it? Would it be worth tracking down a pair of LF3 turbos to swap on?
4) How easy are they to tune? I've got HP Tuner that I could adjust it.
5) Are there any upgrades that should be considered?

·
Registered
891 Posts
Read thru the 4 pages here as I’m considering the LV3 on my next buggy. Does it bolt up to the 4L60/4L80e’s or no?? Not sure if there was a definitive answer in there.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
Read thru the 4 pages here as I’m considering the LV3 on my next buggy. Does it bolt up to the 4L60/4L80e’s or no?? Not sure if there was a definitive answer in there.
Sort of...

It comes with the 6L80 behind it....obviously that bolts up

There are two holes that do not line up with it on a 4L60....that being said, GM performance makes the bell housing that allows you to connect ALL of the holes to a 4L60. The part number is 19125817 and the adapter kit 19329416

Not sure about the 4L80 but the 4L60 can handle 300hp

·
Registered
891 Posts
Sort of...

It comes with the 6L80 behind it....obviously that bolts up

There are two holes that do not line up with it on a 4L60....that being said, GM performance makes the bell housing that allows you to connect ALL of the holes to a 4L60. The part number is 19125817 and the adapter kit 19329416

Not sure about the 4L80 but the 4L60 can handle 300hp
I researched and did find the top bolt doesn't match up, but I'm not sure you'd have to buy an adapter, just machine it for the hole. The 4L80 is beefier than the 4L60 so it should handle it just fine. My main reason for wanting to go with the Lv3 is the weight reduction, but I have a wrecking yard which has 2 of the L33 5.3L which are aluminum and weigh 80# less than the LM7 iron block. I want to keep it fairly light where I can because I'm pulling it with my 66 Scout that's got a 5.7L Hemi and nv4500

Edit: I just saw the link above for the bell housing that adapts the LV3 and from what I've found the 4L80/4L60 both have the same pattern, BUT the 4L80 isn't listed under the applications for that bell housing.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #91 (Edited)
Edit: I just saw the link above for the bell housing that adapts the LV3 and from what I've found the 4L80/4L60 both have the same pattern, BUT the 4L80 isn't listed under the applications for that bell housing.
The GM performance also 1/4" longer than the stock bell housing. The GM performance one looks like it was modified and welded on to account for the difference in pattern.

I can take some pics when I get some time....

·
Registered
891 Posts
The GM performance also 1/4" longer than the stock bell housing. The GM performance one looks like it was modified and welded on to account for the difference in pattern.

I can take some pics when I get some time....
My local yard has a 120,000 mi LV3 for $850 and the 8L90 trans for $850. I'm weighing the numbers here. If I stick with my 4L80 and np205 I've got ill need the Eco box which is $700. The 8L90 has a 4.37 (think it was) 1st gear so that would eliminate the need for the Eco box. If I could get the ECU/harness with it, it would prob end up being cheaper in the long run possibly.

My question is can I use the adapter that's currently attached to my 4l80/np205 on the back of the 8L90 or is the bolt pattern different? I saw some one made an adapter ring for jeep cases. My np205 is the 6 hole round pattern I believe and not the other.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Does anyone know if the 6L50 behind the 2.8L (LWN) Duramax is the same as the one that comes out of the V6 Camaro?

According to a tech spec PDF, the bellhousing is removable and is 60* V6, but the 2.8L Duramax is an inline four cylinder.

I called GMPP to ask about the bolt pattern on the long block (P/N: 5550-4591), but the clerk did not have the info I needed.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
12,583 Posts
Does anyone know if the 6L50 behind the 2.8L (LWN) Duramax is the same as the one that comes out of the V6 Camaro?

According to a tech spec PDF, the bellhousing is removable and is 60* V6, but the 2.8L Duramax is an inline four cylinder.

I called GMPP to ask about the bolt pattern on the long block (P/N: 5550-4591), but the clerk did not have the info I needed.

Thanks
I know nothing about that engine but the 60* V6 pattern is a standard GM pattern used on other I4's as well as V6's so it wouldn't surprise me if the 2.8 used it. In other words, don't interpret "60* V6 bell housing" as meaning the engine is necessarily a V6 or that only V6's used it. (Maybe you already know this and I've just misunderstood your question.)

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts

Thanks
From some google images. It looks like the 6l50 has a 60* bell housing on some of the models.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
From my research the 6L50 is offered in a 60* V6 pattern and it does come behind the LWN 2.8L diesel. I was unsure if those two parameters were standard or if there was another BH that was used behind the 2.8L.

Good to know that it has been used on other 4 cylinder motors though and could be used on the LWN.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
Been gathering parts for my LV3 install and have my accessories finally settled.

Im running a Holley midmount water pump/accessory kit and it seems to come out pretty clean.

Some of you have been asking for weights so I stole a pallet scale from the office and we weighed it with the accessories as pictured above (all the parts thrown on the scale) and it comes in at 366.

As a comparison, my 4.3 vortec from a 98 Sonoma (with same accessories) came in 24 pounds heavier:

Not as much as I had hoped but with 120 more horsepower....it should be a lot better.

·
Registered
5 Posts
LV3 parts

What kinda headers, exhaust are you gonna run? Also what fuel pump have you decided on to feed the di fuel pump? Thanks

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
We are going to do custom built ceramic coated headers we'll build on the car and for a fuel pump, we're going to try to use a Walbro GSL393 with a regulator.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ok thanks for the info. I will have to look into the pump you listed. I've been trying to find some sort of kit for a fuel pump and the only thing I've fount has been the weaponXmotorsports kit and its pricey!

81 - 100 of 102 Posts