Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My engine is blown. Instead of rebuilding I am thinking of replacing. My friend has done a 22re to 22ret and he says that the new engine rus great. Before mine blew his was killing mine in power and torque. My question to you knowledgable people is, will a 22ret bolt into my 89 v6? what kind of fabrication/replacement and I looking at. Before anyone asks, I have heard from almost everyone that the 22 series is stronger and more reliable than the v6 engines.

·
Registered
220 Posts
why don't you swap in a 3.4 with a supercahrger?? you've got all the wiring, all you'd need is a computer and the motor and charger. that swap is a lot easier in your truck then downgrading to a 22rte. granted, the 22re series are good, it would take about as much work to put that in as is would to install a 3.4 into a 22re truck. i'd say stick to the v6, and install a 3.4.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Some things to think about: a 3VZE (V6) barring any head gasket problems will easilly go 200k - 300k with out any major problems. Some even claim that their 200k+ mile engines don't even burn much if any oil. The problem has always been primarily the head gasket. If the engine is well maintained, it should go for a long time.

The 22R series engines are very reliable. Head Gasket problems aren't nearly as abundant. The only somehwat common problem is the timing chain guides wearing out and eventually the chain can wear through the cover. Metal backed guides help out this problem a lot. However, the 22RTE specifically has turbo issues. The turbo unit on them seem to go out after 100k miles. In that way, they are slightly less reliable than the V6.

If you want to do the swap, I'd imagine it wouldn't be too hard. Probably just swap a bellhousing, some different motor mounts perhaps, and of course the wiring harness and computer. The 22RTE will probably be lighter, but is alos about 14 hp lower than the V6.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Originally posted by Cobb:
<STRONG>why don't you swap in a 3.4 with a supercahrger?? you've got all the wiring, all you'd need is a computer and the motor and charger.</STRONG>
what do you mean that you have the wiring? are the wireing of 3.0 and a 3.4 the same?

please help am thinking of doing this. for the next time that damn head goes again, pluse you have more options, in cams,headers ext. for the 3.4

·
Registered
9,385 Posts
I'd suggest a 3.4 or Supra I-6 as well, but...

You can use a Turbo 5spd (R151F) bellhousing on a V6 (R150F) tranny to bolt it to a 22R series motor (and vice versa).

The 22R motors are very reliable and make decent power, but I haven't heard the same for the turbocharger itself...

BTW, 3.0 and 3.4 wiring is not the same... for starters, a 3.0 has a coil and distributor, a 3.4 has direct ignition.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts