Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everone, I have a 1975 scout 2 with a 345 v8 and for about 1 month now my engine started making this taping sound from the right valve cover. At first it was just a tapping sound no big deal. Well now it has gotten to the point were I can no longer drive my scout Now when I drive it the tapping gets worse, I have no power and the engine starts to skip. I took it to a shop and they said it was the lifters. I dont have alot of money and I would like to fix this problem myself. Are these lifters adjustable?? I have never done this before so if someone could explain it to me this would really help me out

·
Registered
952 Posts
Im not familiar with whether IH used solid or hydraulic lifters but I would imagine they're hydraulic. You could possibly adjust the tick out of it but if its ticking bad enough that the motor is skipping then the lifter has collapsed or you've run a cam lobe flat. either way, a new cam and lifters is in order in my opinion. You could just replace the collapsed lifter but doing so would cause your cam to wear rapidly if its not already flat.

·
Premium Member
9,603 Posts
They are hydraulic. As a quick check, take off the valve covers and valley pan and look to see if it is all sludged up.Could be that the oil isn't getting back to the oil pan easily.

·
Registered
14,282 Posts
Snoopy said:
Lifter tick is a very common thing...I'm surprised that no one given a link to the BB yet.
www.binderbulletin.org

Happy now? :flipoff2:

For the record though, it's offline right now. :rolleyes: The BB's reliability has really sucked ever since Bill T moved east.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Btdt...

...I took it to a shop and they said it was the lifters. I dont have alot of money and I would like to fix this problem myself. Are these lifters adjustable?? I have never done this before so if someone could explain it to me this would really help me out...
Sv's have hydraulic lifters and a NON-adjustable valvetrain.

MAYBE a dead lifter, but likely a flat cam lobe. Pull that valve cover and watch the lifters, pushrods, and rockers while cranking the engine over. All will be made clear... My 304 had a TOTALY flat #7 exhaust lobe and a HEAVILY dished lifter. The cam bearings, bearing journals, and ALL of the other lobes and lifters were in perfect shape. The dead lobe and lifter were both as well oiled as the others. Wierd.

If it turns out your cam is toasted, go to the Northern Auto Parts website and order a cam "kit", a bottle of assembly lube, a timing cover gasket/front mainseal kit (not listed, but they stock it), and a valve cover gasket set from them. The cam kit will get you new timing gears, a new bumpstick, and new lifters. They're the cheapest source of these parts by far IME.

Buy or rent a good harmonic ballancer puller, a slotted gear puller, and a "finger type" hydraulic lifter tool. With the lifter tool you can fish the lifters in and out through the pushrod holes in the heads without removing the intake manifold. It's a little tricky however... Go to the afforementioned Binder Bulletin site (if it's up...) so that someone can tell you to get a service manual. :)

The cam gear, crank gear, and ballancer will have to be pressed back on. I did the ghetto thing and heated the gears and ballancer in a pan of boiling water on a camp stove (put wood dowels between the parts and pan so the parts don't get heat directly from the pan). I then slipped the expanded cam gear in place and pulled it on to the cam snout with a longer bolt, then the correct bolt. I slipped the crank gear and ballancer in place on the crank shout (without the timing cover) and used a longer bolt with a thick washer to drive the gear home (using the ballancer as a driver). I then pulled the ballancer back off, installed the timing cover, then reinstalled the ballancer. Ghetto for sure, but it worked...

Have fun ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts