Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever installed engnbldr's 22R ported cylinder head with the oversize valves? I'm interested in hearing any reviews on the product. I've heard good things about the company here, what about this particular cylinder head.

http://www.engnbldr.com/toyotaheads.htm

·
Registered
477 Posts
I have a cylinder head from engnbldr...I just got the stock EFI head though, I was told the ported one reduces torque and since I'm running a turbo block with an EFI head I'm already a little low on compression compared to a standard EFI 22r. The head is quality, I'm having some electrical issues right now with my rig (see post about Millenium 4runner) but the head quality was impressive. I am also running the engnbldr cam and although today was my first day driving it on normal roads it seemed to have some real power advantages from about 1500 rpm and up...

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does that mean you got your bucking bronco, I mean Toyota, calmed down a little bit. I don't know if yours is the same, I've never had a Toyota with FI, but the Throttle Position Sensor just looked like a big potentiometer. If this is like yours, maybe the contacts (wiper) that brush the surface of the resistor element are making and breaking contact while you're driving down the street. If you or somebody you know has an ohmeter, that might be all you need to see if it's ok.

http://4crawler.cruiserpages.com/4x4/CheapTricks/TPS/tps2.gif

You probably already looked at this but it lays it out pretty good.

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
I have their ported head with the bigger valves. It's a great piece. The "ported" does not mean polished though.

I didnt bother cleaning them up since you'd have to disassemble the head again. It definitely has a little more top end power and I didnt lose any bottom end.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Cooop, yah my bucking yota seems to have cured itself of the intermittent issue as of now...I think it was just a weird connection at the TPS, #1 injector or one of the two temp sensors in the lower intake...It now just has a hesitation, and I remember from when I drove it before it just had started to do the hesitation, sounds silly but it might be the coil, AFM or TPS...

I am completely happy so far with the head from engnbldr. Not to mention if you have any issue just email him and within 10 minutes you usually get a response. He had a stroke not too long ago so he's recovering from that and really enjoys typing emails I think.

Brett

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Guys! Maybe their porting is just taking the burrs out of the casting and rounding off the sharp turns for better flow and less turbulence, not necessarily a polish just a smoothing.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not bad, had questions Tuesday morning, Ted gets back to me about 25 minutes later with the answers. I order on Tuesday afternoon, it's on my porch Thursday afternoon and it's pretty!!

·
Registered
726 Posts
Chewbacca said:
Cooop, yah my bucking yota seems to have cured itself of the intermittent issue as of now...I think it was just a weird connection at the TPS, #1 injector or one of the two temp sensors in the lower intake...It now just has a hesitation, and I remember from when I drove it before it just had started to do the hesitation, sounds silly but it might be the coil, AFM or TPS...

I am completely happy so far with the head from engnbldr. Not to mention if you have any issue just email him and within 10 minutes you usually get a response. He had a stroke not too long ago so he's recovering from that and really enjoys typing emails I think.

Brett

MINE DID THE SAME HESITATION TOO:

I pulled the EFI fuse and waited like 5Min and then drove awhile and it went away after i set the AFM back to stock tooth count,

Hope this works for you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts