Pirate 4x4 banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
27,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have spent the last 3 weeks on here in the archives searching for dana 60 info for my brothers project and 3 and 4 link configurations for the rear of my truggy(both in the general, toyota and suzuki forums). do you fawkers know what you get when you actually search the archives? post after post, over and over, of little bitches saying "SEARCH NEWBIE" and ABSOLUTELY NO TECH!!!!:mad: :mad:

there is nearly no usefull info in the archives of the last half a year+, it is drown out with bitching about searchin and pictures of the search button. the archives are diluted with this worthless crap and apparently it is going to continue until there is no info??? it took me about 15 hours to get about 2 hours worth of info.....there is a plethora of crazy knowledge available here, too bad its ten feet deep in a pasture full of manure.........
:mad: :mad:

·
Registered
535 Posts
now you know how us newbies feel :flipoff2:

actually, there still is a LOT of usefull info in the archives, depends on what your looking for. basic stuff does have a lot of info in there, its when a newbie asks a question that really isn't all that common, but isn't "extreme 4x4" then they get pounced on to search, when there really isn't any info in a search...

i think the most helpfull thing is when the newbie asks, and then gets gets told "do a search, you'll find this: " and then a link to a good hit in a search.

·
Registered
8,474 Posts
Go Booger and I thought it was just me. I have tried searching from time to time and thought I just wasn't doing it right because I seem to get information on everything but what I wanted. So I would just wait til the topic came up again cuz they always do :flipoff2:

I think the people that can pull a thread out and drop in quick probably have it saved in there bookmarks ;)

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
If you would have searched the subject "search" you would have seen this topic has been covered many times............................................................................................................:flipoff2: .

Yes it has gotten very old. I think the best thing for everyone to do is just ignore stupid posts and let the moderators suggest using the search or kill the thread as they see fit. But then how would the young'uns be able to pad their post count and feel all important and stuff?

How about a new rule? Only mods can tell them to search, if the person repeatedly doesn't get it, let the moderators then decide what to do with them.

·
Registered
27,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
zags said:
How about a new rule? Only mods can tell them to search, if the person repeatedly doesn't get it, let the moderators then decide what to do with them.
perfect rule, no more mini-moderators! ask jacka how much fun hes having when searchin dana 60/61 info :flipoff2: its a haystack of bullshit, with a couple needles of info...at least DRM stopped ruining post by argueing endlessly....i found plenty of them as welll....

·
Registered
127 Posts
Either that, or someone might consider actually going through all the BS posts in the archives....and deleting them. Seeing as they just get in the way of any useful search criteria anyways. Then, Booger wouldn't have to dig through the useless manure, and he could move right to the Tech.

Perhaps a monthly colon cleansing is needed?? :flipoff2:

Camo, wanna hire me to do it?? I don't know any tech, and I'm a newbie....so therefore I'm not biased like everyone else is :D

Seriously though, it's not my place to even say anything (no red star). But I can guarantee that Pirate would have alot more red stars if there wasn't so much bashing. Then again, what do I know?? :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
22,080 Posts
Exactly the reason I spent a few hours putting together the first part of the FAQ.

I figured if the really common stuff was in there, then the only question swould be out of the ordinary or more uncommon stuff which would decrease the number of easy questions and subsequent "Use the search button newbie..." answers.

At least I tried I guess.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I agree. I like everyone else is guilty of bashing the newbies with the search phrase. But I made my mind up I ain't gonna be as hard about it anyomore. Last night made mr relize it. I searched for 3 hours on a topic that has been covered to death. Tried "brake swap" "better brakes" and tried a million different combo's. Didn't find jack crap and what really shocked me was a few times I got a "no found matches" error. It's probly cause it's so clogged with crap it can't search properly.

·
Registered
3,820 Posts
I definately agree! As I've said before, I wish people would just let stupid questions fall off the bottom. Or if it's a repeat, give an example of search results!

I'm working up a database in my head for this type of stuff, hope to code soon. The FAQ is a nice idea, but really hard to use.

·
Registered
961 Posts
I agree with letting the moderator close threads. Maybe automatically delete threads with no replies(other than the thread starter) after one month. That gives people the incentive NOT to reply. Stupid posts get no replies and disappear automatically. - I know- in a perfect world.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
it was intimidating posting a new thread...you wouldn't know what the "gods" would think of it.

so i agree, lets make a new sort of rule.:p

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
guys, we are trying our best.

If I see a dumb question, I lock it and make a last reply telling them not to post anything like that here again.

Some of them are so dumb I just delete them :p

Booger - not sure what you were searching for but I just searched for "Dana 60" and got more than enough info about it.

And did you stop to think that YOU just mentioned "Dana 60" in this thread, so now THIS USELESS THREAD (As far as tech is concerned) will now pop up in every search for "Dana 60" from now on?

What else will show up? Any time someone says:
"I just broke another birfield, I need a Dana 60"
"Should I put a Dana 60 under my Taco?"
"Anyone have any pictures of Camo's Dana 60?"

Search is a good feature, but it is not magical. Yes - people overuse the "search Newbie!" phrase... But the alternative is me and the other mods having to stay on here 24/7 and play babysitter... and Lance needs to start paying me $$$$ if I am gonna do that :p

·
Registered
27,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
soopatoy said:
it was intimidating posting a new thread...you wouldn't know what the "gods" would think of it.

so i agree, lets make a new sort of rule.:p
i could give 2 shits about the "gods" if i get the info i need and back on the trial or fixed, modded, rebuilt properly, im happy:D my whole rig is built from stuff i copied from everyone on here, but a year ago the search feature brought up usefull info, now its a bunch of little webwheelin pussies who type SEARCH on the keyboard all day, think theyre omnipotently endowed with all the knowlege in the world and dont actually build or wheel anything, cause its still sitting in the corner of their garage or they found it was more fun to play asshole on the computer...

·
Registered
961 Posts
Booger Weldz said:

i could give 2 shits about the "gods" if i get the info i need and back on the trial or fixed, modded, rebuilt properly, im happy:D my whole rig is built from stuff i copied from everyone on here, but a year ago the search feature brought up usefull info, now its a bunch of little webwheelin pussies who type SEARCH on the keyboard all day, think theyre omnipotently endowed with all the knowlege in the world and dont actually build or wheel anything, cause its still sitting in the corner of their garage or they found it was more fun to play asshole on the computer...
Paul have you ever seen the movie "Falling Down?"

Time to get that prescription for valium re-filled. LOL

That being said... I agree

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I agree Paul....Damn fawkers! I spent hours searching for stuff from one of the boards and after not finding directly what I wanted to know I posted my questions and some jackass told me to use the search. Sometimes I just wanna reach through the screen and strangle whoever said that. Why do they feel the need to say that, why not just say nothing and let whoever actually has an answer answer it? Damn Fawkers!
:flipoff2:

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
Ishikawa said:
Either that, or someone might consider actually going through all the BS posts in the archives....and deleting them.

Do you have any clue the time and effort that would take?

To prove my point, I just tried that approach.

I searched for "Dana 60" and got a whole bunch of threads. One on the first page was someone asking what axles to put under a T100. I thought "BAM - I got me a useless post here - DELETE! DELETE! DELETE!

Then I read it and see there is one guy who posted a reply and a picture of his VERY well built T100 on 60's.

So maybe that post is not the *best* Dana 60 info, but if someone was searching for "trail T100" or "built T100" in the hopes of setting up a sweet trail rig out of one, then that thread is one of the FEW that would give him a contact of someone who has done it before.

So think it through - what may look like useless posts that come up under one search, may be priceless tech posts that come up under another search...

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
May I suggest this, then:

Moderators currently can't do it all on their own.

Too many poeple are yelling "SEARCH!"

Why not do something like this:
Someone comes in and posts "Anyone know what set of headers will work with my 4.3 conversion?"

You can only tell them to search if you actually GO PERFORM THE SEARCH and can link them to something the search would have found them had they tried.

That would help because:
  1. MiniMods would actually have to do a bit of work before dropping the S-bomb... not just posting it and running away.
  2. It would stop people being told to search for things there is *NO* information on
  3. When browsing the D60 archives... even the useless drivel/personal attack/chitchat posts would have ACTUAL LINKS to tech posts.
  4. Example for my next point:
    Yesterday I was looking for the thread Tin Bender started about the lime-green 4runner with the exo. Searching for EXO in the TOY forum for posts started by TIN BENDER did nothing. I had to re-do the search twice before it returned a thread I was CERTAIN existed. Imagine if I was trying to find that post without any of that information. ;)
Booger, for that D-60 info, have you seem BILLAVISTAS D-60 FRONT AXLE page?

·
Registered
161 Posts
I agree booger. I have been doing tons of searches on front [email protected] (one of the most common subjects on this site, and I have searched "[email protected]", "[email protected]", "[email protected]", "44O44" etc.), and I still haven't found answers to a number of my questions. However, I continue to search and waste my time reading the same old poop hoping to find a nugget I missed rather than have to read post after post of "search newbie" in response. I am not saying there are no stupid questions, but just that there isn't quite as much information (at least in a readily usable format) to answer any and all questions on the subject. Just something to consider.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.