Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is his first yota and here is the prob.
He just replaced the headgasket and timing chain.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, after much working on the 4runner I got it back together and cranked her over tonight.

Nothing happend

The engine spun faster than it should, and didn't fire. I pulled the #1 plug, and have no compression at all. I'm guessing the cam timing is FUBAR, btu I really don't see how you could fawk this up. I lined up the shiny link with the dot on the bottom pulley, then again on the cam pulley. The only thing I noticed was that the cam pulley wasn't straight up and down, but the shiny link was right on, so I figure that's due to the tensioner.

Anyone with some 22r-e experience want to give me a hand ASAP? I've GOT to get this running. The HOA is already on my ass about the suzuki being outside, and working on a vehicle on my property, so I need teh garage back ASAP!

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
did you make sure the #1 piston was TDC on the COMPRESSION stroke? sounds like you got it 180* out.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Yep, Fueler is right. You are probably getting spark when it is in the exhaust stroke. Same thing happened to me when I replaced my timing chain, so I pulled out the distributor, turned the crankshaft pulley one full turn, put the distributor back in, and tried starting again. I did this till it worked because I am a dumbass, not a skilled engine mechanic. You have a 1 in 4 chance of getting it your first time...but if it doesnt work after your fourth crankshaft pulley rotation, you've got other issues.

Kurt G.

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
Genshie said:
Yep, Fueler is right. You are probably getting spark when it is in the exhaust stroke. Same thing happened to me when I replaced my timing chain, so I pulled out the distributor, turned the crankshaft pulley one full turn, put the distributor back in, and tried starting again. I did this till it worked because I am a dumbass, not a skilled engine mechanic. You have a 1 in 4 chance of getting it your first time...but if it doesnt work after your fourth crankshaft pulley rotation, you've got other issues.

Kurt G.
it not his distributor thats fawked....the valves are not opening at the correct time in relationship with the piston. hes not getting any compression.

·
Registered
351 Posts
it not his distributor thats fawked....the valves are not opening at the correct time in relationship with the piston. hes not getting any compression.
Maybe he got a timing chain for the wrong series of 22r on accident?

Wouldn't hurt to make sure it's not 180 out.

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
Fueler said:

Well, John, uh, thanks for starting this thread for me. :p

That's what I'm assuming is wrong also. When I get home from work tonight, I'm planning on using a straw to find TDC, then turning it over by hand and watching that valves on #1 while it goes through the full cycle.

It just seems like such a no-brainer with the shiny links and all. This isn't the 1st time I've done a timing chain/belt, but it is the 1st for a yota. I've been a V8 guy up until now, so I'm just getting used to this strange foreign stuff :D

Fueler said:
did you make sure the #1 piston was TDC on the COMPRESSION stroke? sounds like you got it 180* out.
The thing about this is, the cam timing defines the compression stroke. I could be wrong, but I think if the piston is up (TDC) and the valves are closed, that's it. The cam can't really be 180* off since it is keyed, and same with the crank. If they were 180* off the links would be on the opposite side of the dots. I'm thinking the chain must have slipped on the crank pulley somehow, but I really don't know how it would. I had tension on it the whole time I put the head on (used a bungy cord to the hood).

This isn't rocket science, but it is driving me nuts. :rolleyes:

Thanks

·
Registered
387 Posts
Fueler said:

Agreed. I am saying to pull the distributor before rotating the crankshaft pulley because you need to make sure the distributor gear is lined up properly with the cam to make sure that spark is happening when it should.

It may be that the chain slipped on the gear when it was being installed (which shouldn't happen unless you didnt install the chain tensioner)

Either way, good luck with it!

Kurt G.

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
OK, this is strange. I pulled the valve cover, and all the valves are really tight, even the ones that aren't being lifted by the cam lobe.

As far as I can tell, there is nothing that goes between the rocker rails and the head, so why are the valves suddenly tight? Am I missing something? Should there be something between the head and the rockers? :confused:

·
Registered
5,815 Posts
Erich In AZ said:
OK, this is strange. I pulled the valve cover, and all the valves are really tight, even the ones that aren't being lifted by the cam lobe.

As far as I can tell, there is nothing that goes between the rocker rails and the head, so why are the valves suddenly tight? Am I missing something? Should there be something between the head and the rockers? :confused:
Just the headgasket. Did you pull the timing cover off? It's easiest to insure it's right that way. The valve clearance is only .008 to .010 so they might just seem tight.

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
Well, holy $hit, it runs!

Here's what was going on. I pulled the valve cover and noticed that none of the rockers had any play at all. Upon further examination, I found that they were holding the valves open. When I put the rockers back on a torqued the head, I didn't worry about checking the valve clearance at the time since none of the cam related stuff changed. I think somehow, my rocker shafts got mixed up with a set that GRoSSPooLooTER had laying around my garage (along with a couple of other 22r heads, etc). That's all I can think of right now that would cause this.

I got the balls up to drive it today for the first time, and it seems to be doing great! I need to take it through emissions and see what happens. I have every other tool under the sun, except a timing light, so I just did it by ear. :D

Thanks to Pazoooooozoooooo for helping me out last night.

Oh, and GRoSSPooLooTER... I told you my junk would run before yours! :flipoff2:

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
If you did a valve job when you did your timing chain that could be a problem. I know after I did my chain and valve job everything was really tight. Broke everything in and adjusted everything and no problems. One more thing I used all Toyota parts cost a hell of a lot more even with a discount but it all fit just right no problems.

Erich In AZ said:

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
4runninghank said:
If you did a valve job when you did your timing chain that could be a problem. I know after I did my chain and valve job everything was really tight. Broke everything in and adjusted everything and no problems. One more thing I used all Toyota parts cost a hell of a lot more even with a discount but it all fit just right no problems.

I didn't do a valve job, I just did the head gasket and the timing chain. None of that should affect the valve lash though. :confused: Oh well, it's running now, so I'm pretty happy. :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts