Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy,

Has anyone else had any bad experiance with Esso Diesel Fuel?

I had put about 10 gallons of it in my 05' Dodge with a Cummins yestarday B4 I realized it wasnt regular #2 fuel. I went ahead and finished filling up with about 28 gallons. I then pulled a 27 foot Camp Trailer from Soccoro NM west on Hwy 60 to Show Low Az. This stretch for road has some pretty good Hills. My towing fuel mileage dropped from a about 12.5 to 9 mpg's. The exhaust smell was awfull, kinda like a LP gas rotten egg stink. I was leading another truck, who had to move to the front to get away from the smell. It did seem to run OK, maybe just a little noisey. After re-fueling the truck went right back to 12 or 13 mpg's in even more hilly country. I wont be using it any more.

BTW, the truck averaged 21 mpg's over the same road when not towing. It only had about 1800 miles on it when I put this sh!t in...

Flatty

·
Registered
526 Posts
Sounds like you got some farm fuel. They add sulfur to it to make it smell bad and let the cops know you are running non-road taxed fuel. Not sure if thats the case....but it sure sounds like it.

Chris

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Tax vs non-taxes is red vs green. If it was green it was regular taxed fuel.

[Cliff Claven voice] Little know fact about fuels... All fuel is the same. Unleaded at Connoco is the same as Exxon, Flying J, Shell, yada... It all came from the same place.

I work in pipeline industry. This type of fuel is fungeable. Meaning... A company pays us for transportation services. They put 1,000,000 gallons into my system in Texas at point A. They can ~immediately~ withdraw 1,000,000 gallons from my system in Connecticut at point B. Think of the product like money. You are in Houston and deposit $1000 in a Bank of America account at a local branch, and your wife can immediately withdrawl the $1000 at a branch in New York.

Most companies don't want you to know this about fuel oils. But the only changes in fuel are the detergents added once it's past my terminal (the point b). That's why the names and "recipies" of those cleaner agents are so carefully guarded.

What ~does~ have an impact on fuel quality is how it's been handled past one of our terminals. Maybe it's old. Maybe there's condensation in it. This why regardless of the fact that it's all "the same"... I still only buy from a high volume place like like a truck stop.

[/Cliff Claven moment for the day]

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did a google search and "Esso" is a marine grade fuel. Now how I ended up with that in the middle of New Mexico is beyond me! But I think Chris Shelby must be right, it was an agricultural area. The stuff was next to a standard #2 diesel pump, for the same $2.40 a gallon. I did happen to look for a tax sticker on the pump, there was none. Thanks for the replys

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
If it was off-road fuel, it would have been ~40-45 cents a gallon cheaper and red. I thought Esso was just a name of a chain (like Conoco or Shell, etc). Any chance you put kerosene in there? My bet is you just got crap fuel, it does happen. Best advice (as stated above) is to buy from a high-volume place, like a truck stop. Also, if it does happen to you again and you notice it running poorly, don't wait until its almost empty to fill up.

Pete

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Esso = Exxon.... I was unaware that they had Esso's south of the border...
Anyhow, up here, clear(normal fuel) is low sulfur and not dyed, so it's a bit of a greenish amber. Dyed is red, and high sulfur, you can tell a truck that's running it just by the smell of the exhaust, also, it'll run quieter... You'd be amazed the difference in engine noise(and fuel system wear) that what lubrication the slufur provides makes. I noticed no difference in power in my truck(used to be road tax exempt, that rocked...) but, it ran and idled with considerably less injector noise.

My bet is you just got a bad batch of fuel.

·
Registered
438 Posts
In CA chevron has its own pipeline, but yea what solid durango said.Unless you buy chevron in CA.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts