Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i know it kinda odd but what mods do you wish you could un do i know there some out there you wish you haddent made i was going to do a spring swap and move my axel back and now i wish i haddent hacked the 9" off my frame who else has done this

ERIC

·
Registered
27,885 Posts
i miss the 4runner rear seats and foulweather protection, there are also hundreds of wasted $$'s on my truck that i could have done cheaper if i had the ability to weld and/or guts to try something like springs from the junkyard instead of fancy, proven namebrand stuff...

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
I wish I could have done something a little diffrent on my front mount I made for my SAS, after further inspection and wheeling I have decided its GAY, it works just fine and is plenty strong, but it just dosent look cool enough! LOL :flipoff2:

·
Registered
583 Posts
I'm with Booger on this one, I could have saved alot of money if I had the balls to fab shit up from the beginning instead of buying it. If you want an easy answer and one thing that i can undo, I hate my buggy springs. They work OK, but the constant clanking on the trail drives me nuts. I could put a small bump stop, But I think it would be better to just take them off. Also, I wished i had gone straight to Dana 60's instead of putting a bunch of money into my Toyota axles. I guess I didn't realize in the beginning that it would be cool to run something bigger than a 35" tire. Live and learn - I guess we will all be driving buggies some day and wonder why we ever bothered chopping up a perfectly good truck. I wish I had started with a wrecked truck, cause thats what mine looks like now!

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
somedumbkid said:
ok so i know it kinda odd but what mods do you wish you could un do i know there some out there you wish you haddent made i was going to do a spring swap and move my axel back and now i wish i haddent hacked the 9" off my frame who else has done this

ERIC
I like this. I'm going to start posting parapgraph-long run-on scentences from now on. :flipoff2:

Booger nailed it. The first upgrade part you should buy for a 4x4 is welder, followed by all the other tools in the shop: dril press, chop saw, tube bender, etc. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,180 Posts
Start out with a beater and like has been said build more and buy less. Instead I took my wife's clean, straight, cherry 4Runner and decided that it needed to be a rockcrawler. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Kinda wish I would have bought a 4 runner to build my rig out of. Also wish I would have done a EFI swap instead of buying a new carb last year. When I bought the carb the Toyota was my work truck and wasn't planning on a SAS so the carb was O.K. at that time.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Wish I would not have bought e-lockers, and just spent the extra 1k on the ARB's. Also wish that I had not modified my axle housings to run the e-locker. So that I could sell them and buy ARB's

·
Registered
449 Posts
somedumbkid said:
... *raises hand* I saw someone put a bar across the frame horizontally in the rear, thus allowing the double shackle set up (for chevy swap)

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
getting my front driveshaft made to long then my springs settled and now i have to have it shortend and thats gonna cost $40 and i have to drive to montana to get it balanced so now it'll be all wobbely and screwy but atleast i'll be able to go wheelin again someday and i hope that after i am all finished with college i can get a good engineering job in colorado and live in a bigger town then 5000 and that the new place will have a barnes and noble book store so i can read all the 4x4 magazines for free.

how that for a run on? :massey: :grinpimp: :blender:

·
Registered
722 Posts
stoopid arb compressor

I wish I hadn't got the ARB compressor to go with my air lockers. The damn thing makes me nervous. Nothing like being right in the middle of a tough obstacle only to learn your compressor has decided you don't need your lockers. Shoulda researched it more I guess...

·
Wicked Raciest !
17,734 Posts
Re: stoopid arb compressor

Check the front axle housing better that I just shaved and trussed. Went to put the short side axle in and it would not go, housing is bent!!!

pnwd00d said:
I wish I hadn't got the ARB compressor to go with my air lockers. The damn thing makes me nervous. Nothing like being right in the middle of a tough obstacle only to learn your compressor has decided you don't need your lockers. Shoulda researched it more I guess...
What do you mean by this? I have been using an ARB pump for 5 years and it has never unlocked my lockers!!!

Wish I would not have bought e-lockers, and just spent the extra 1k on the ARB's. Also wish that I had not modified my axle housings to run the e-locker. So that I could sell them and buy ARB's
Sell them as a whole unit.!!:rolleyes:

weld some stock back on and fish plate it on both sides

I wish I could have done something a little diffrent on my front mount I made for my SAS, after further inspection and wheeling I have decided its GAY, it works just fine and is plenty strong, but it just dosent look cool enough! LOL
And we have to look cool at all cost!!!!:rolleyes:

Booger, Son I don't know what to say to you!!!:flipoff2:

·
Premium Member
15,352 Posts
Never messed with x-over steering and gone STRAIGHT to full hydro, I would have not been wheeling these last 9 weeks due to a busted arm...

·
Registered
158 Posts
buying a Tacoma before I learned anything about wheeling. If I knew then what I know now (from reading this board) I would have bought a commuter car for half what I payed for the Taco and used the rest to buy/build a real trail rig.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Re: Re: stoopid arb compressor

OOP'S said:
What do you mean by this? I have been using an ARB pump for 5 years and it has never unlocked my lockers!!!
:flipoff2: [/B]
Well, the problem I am having has been intermittent and hard to track down. Basically, I'll hear the compressor run every so often (as it should). But then I'll notice that my lockers aren't engaged and the pump isn't running. Tapping with a wrench on the compressor will usually make it run again. Use of a test light reveals that all connections seem solid. Must be mechanical then. I took it apart and made sure everything was clean and it was. Hasn't happend since then though so maybe that worked. They also sent me a bad airup hose. Everyone I know who *doesn't* have this set up just bad mouths it for being too complicated and unreliable but everyone who has it says, it rocks! I figure the guys without just don't like the price and are trying to make themselves feel better about not having one! <smirk>

Don't get me wrong, I still love my ARBs but it just makes me nervous to feel like I can't depend on the compressor.

·
Premium Member
3,238 Posts
When I got my truck, it had a three inch body lift, and stock IFS. Within a year it had a solid axle under neath it. I kinda wished I had wheeled it more back when it was relatively stock. I think I would have learned alot more about how to wheel. The solid axle just makes it that much easier.

·
Registered
27,885 Posts
there was this time in high school when me and this fat girl where drinkin and she...

...pulled out my mushroom tip:flipoff2: can i undue it????:(

·
Premium Member
3,238 Posts
No, and I'm sorry.:(

1 - 20 of 31 Posts