Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
any updates?..After beating on my honda buggy it would be hard to go back to a front engine buggy again..they are awsome to wheel.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
slowly finishing everything up... all the details at the end seem to take so much time, but everyone knows that. Drove it around the pasture a couple days ago. Its not going to be a rock-racer (top speed seems fairly low) but she seems to go from 0-to-all shes got pretty good.

There are a couple things with the steering i am concerned about, but all in all, everything seems to to working as it should.

I am saving weight by running invisible seats....its the new rage:D

Exhaust is on the driver side of the motor....which was the "front" when it was in a civic from the factory.

I will try to get pics of the final product this week....including seats and the dash for everyone that has been waiting:smokin:

·
Registered
422 Posts
I like the overhead switch and gauge console. Do you wear gloves when you drive this thing? It looks like that steering wheels will get pretty hot when the sun starts beating down on it.
I just sold my big buggy, and am really liking the idea, and size of all the Honda buggies I see around now.

Stephen

·
Scumbag
286 Posts
Just bought a Honda rear engine buggy myself last week. Let's see some pics of your buggy already.:shaking:

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
ZC is the JDM 1.6L dual OHC Honda motor out of Japaneses civic si/crx from the early 90's. Honestly havent had the buggy out much since i got it finished, still have a few issues to iron out, but she seems to do pretty well for 1.6L of furry. This pics are actually from a while back, but they are better than the crappy cell phone ones that were posted.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v443/ProjekTJ
/buggytest_4.jpg

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
looks good!!!

Any pics on how you fit the fr driveline??

Im currently gathering parts for a small turbo for the Lo-Budget buggy(same ZC ) it crawls awesome just needs a bit more 0-8ft pop to get some of the vert climbs around here....

Did you get a harness for Richard?

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #32 (Edited)
I will get some pics of the front drive train this week. I will tell you it tight.:D Yes i got the engine harness from Richard. Thanks for the reference. Turn the key and it runs like a Honda. Cant complain. Hope to get it out for some good wheeling soon. Been off my feet due to brain surgery (seriously), but i am bouncing back quickly. Can only stay out of the shop so long.

·
Registered
114 Posts
That looks damn good!!!

The front look's like a hi-pinion toy. but how about the rear?! is it a turned front?
Can you take some pictures of the engine bay?

I realy like Rock Ape's build but for sure I would prefer a 2 seatter.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Sweet buggy!

I gotta ask how you went about attaching the driveshafts in place of the CV shafts? Does one end have a disconnect? Any pictures of some sweet adapter/welding going on?

What kind of gearing is in the transaxle?

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Front is high pinion Toy, rear is V6 toy in a flip toy front axle. Knuckle balls were cut and rotated 180 degrees +/- for the correct pinion angle. i copied Rockapes drive shaft attachment idea. Have to give him credit for that. Its just a Honda CV turned down with a toy drive shaft welded to it. So far the factory C-clip and some locktight on the splines has keep the rear shaft in the transaxle. I know some other have had problems with the driveshaft coming out. The front can't come out because of the two shaft with the carrier bearing. He has some build pics and how to in his build thread.

Only disconnect i have at the moment is the front hubs. May be one in the future, but money started to get tight.

Gearing... good question. the axles have 5.29s. I pulled the tranny out of a Civic at pull-a-part, pulled it a part, welded the diff, and put it in. I think its somewhere around 4 to 1 for the ring and pinion in the tranny, but i have no clue what 1rst gear is. I will tell you that it shifts into second pretty quick:grinpimp:

i will snap some more pics soon.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I love this buggy.I wanted to build one like rock apes,but wanted a 2 seater.This is def inspiration.Whats the chassis width at the pass compartment? overall measurement?
Thanks in advance.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts