Pirate 4x4 banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I love this buggy.I wanted to build one like rock apes,but wanted a 2 seater.This is def inspiration.Whats the chassis width at the pass compartment? overall measurement?
Thanks in advance.
i believe the upper "door" bar is 52" outside of tube to outside of tube and the floor pan is 48" outside to outside. Been i while since i built it...but i think that is correct.

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
Nice!!! Thanks for the pics of how the front shaft is with the pass seat.

Gearing in first gear is 62:1 with 5.29s in the axles....

What do you think of the Rock Equipment shocks?

I have a toyota driveline disconnect from trail tough and had planned to add it to the rear 3rd and make it either cable or air actuated....I am alittle concerned if the honda transaxle is gonna live through front burns though.....

I did put the Yukon Zip lockers in and noticed an instant improvement in turning radius.I also added rear cutting brakes so I could open the rear and drag a tire in 3 wheel drive.

Hope your brain is better....if so go wheel this thing!!!:grinpimp:

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Rock Ape What do you think of the Rock Equipment shocks?[/QUOTE said:
So far... they hold the buggy up nicely in the shop! (i said it before one of my jackass buddies chimed in with that comment:flipoff2:)

Not enough seat time to give a honest trail report on them. I got them at a steal, and figured why not try them. I like the simplicity of them, but i am scared that may be there down fall. Once i get some real set time in, hopefully i will have some better feed back. I will say that i am when i design the suspension i set up the air shocks to have 6" of up travel. Two reason, 2" of up travel like you see on some builds bottoms out to easy, and with the extra pressure and up travel i can jump it without bottoming out as bad :p

·
Registered
224 Posts
I will get some pics of the front drive train this week. I will tell you it tight.:D Yes i got the engine harness from Richard. Thanks for the reference. Turn the key and it runs like a Honda. Cant complain. Hope to get it out for some good wheeling soon. Been off my feet due to brain surgery (seriously), but i am bouncing back quickly. Can only stay out of the shop so long.
Im going to need a harness for my Honda buggy soon. Who is Richard and will he build a harness for me?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Thanks for the pictures!

This may be a dum question but that radiator behind the gas thank is for gearbox oil or for the steering?

Rock Ape does not use a swaybar.
Since he is also here, can you guys tell me what made you use and not use it?

Good to know that you are ok and back on the driving seat!

·
Scumbag
286 Posts
I've been recently contemplating a rear sway bar in my Honda buggy too. Whenever there is a lot of torque needed to pop over a rock the chassis twists a lot. It has not been a problem but I know a week little sway bar would fix it.

What sway bar did you use and where did you get it?

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
so, seth....when are we going to harlan again? that was what....4 years ago?

you gonna wheel that silly thing, or just look at it? :flipoff2:

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Why did i use the sway bar? Because i had it sitting in the corner from when i parted out my Toyota mini-truck to build, this one, figured it couldn't hurt. Sway-bar is from Rock Equipment. (looks like Tony is selling stuff under TK1 Racing now...but here are both links)

http://rockequipment.com/
http://store.tk1racing.com/

I am sure someone will ask why the sway-bar in the rear instead of the front. Answer is that it would not fit in the front...so i put it in the back:D

Rock Ape has the connection for the wiring harness. That is who got me set up Richard. My harness came to me in a different box, i moved it into the ammo can for better protection from the east coast mud and crap we deal with on a normal basis, but other than that, it was plug and play including the factory Honda key.

Lee, shoot me a message when you are going wheeling next time:p

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Thanks for the pictures!

This may be a dum question but that radiator behind the gas thank is for gearbox oil or for the steering?
It is a two fluid cooler... four rows are for the auto tranny, and two rows are for the PS. I also have a traditional heat sink cooler mounted above the front axle (below the winch) to help cool the PS fluid.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Just to bring this back from the dead. I bought this buggy from Seth a few months ago and I've really been enjoying it. Seth did a great job building this buggy.

·
Registered
88 Posts
These are the only pics I've got of the buggy in action. Our group doesn't stop for pics much, would rather be riding.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts