Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2006 24v Cummins. I just finished building this engine, had an injector failure that washed a cylinder and spun a rod bearing. After a complete build and a new injector in the bad hole, the truck seems down on power. I came to me on a trailer, so I have no idea how it ran before, and this is the first comon rail auto trans Dodge I have driven, so I really dont have a basis to compare to though. EGTs seem to be inline, cruises at about 500 degrees. Will reach 24 lbs of boost on a small climb empty, with EGTs climbing to about 600-650 degrees.
Whats bothering me is what I see on the scan tool. My OTC Genysis 4.0 shows boost numbers about 10 psi higher across the board, rail pressure maxed out all the time at 27,500psi, no TPS input, and engine load never gets above 42%. I can individually cut out cylinders and defintley see that they are firing, the cylinder with the new injector has slightly lower contribution numbers, but not enough to cause concern. Only three codes appear at any time
P0192- rail pressure low
P0193- rail pressure high
P0606- PCM internal error

My stock 92 12v 5 speed truck runs WAY better than this one. What am I missing here? It feels like that maybe its running on a default program?? If I had a PCM issue, I would think it wouldnt run at all. Or are my expectations too high? Should I find a similar truck to drive for comparison?

·
Registered
762 Posts
You might have some sensor issues, a failed fuel pressure regulator would peg out the rail pressure numbers and cause all sorts of funky things. Does it lope at all at idle? It could be that your OTC isn't reading the sensor inputs properly, some readers had trouble with the diesel trucks and needed software updates.

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No lope at all, Have swapped the rail pressure sensor and the rail relief valve with known good units, no change in the numbers at all.

I also have an OTC Nemysis, it shows all the same numbers except for rail pressure. The Nemysis shows a constant 5507psi upon startup. But the Nemysis hasnt seen an update since 2004.

·
Registered
4,650 Posts
Did you replace all the injectors? Did you use the correct 04.5+ nozzles and matching pistons?

03/04 injector nozzles and pistons are different than 04.5+ trucks

Did you also use new injector tubes?

·
Registered
4,650 Posts
Normal idle rail pressure is 5,000-5,500 psi.....you're fine there

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Just replaced one injector, cleaned and tested the other 5. Proper injectors and am aware of the piston differences, have the correct pistons in it. Did not replace the feed tubes, no cracks, injector ends looked great.

one scan tool shows maxed out once started and never changes, the other reads 5507psi regardless of engine speed. That leaves me guessing as to what my rail pressure actually is. The boost and EGT numbers are from added manual gauges, and they are different than whats coming out of the OBD2 port. Im wonderig if that P0606 code is telling me I have PCM issues and thats effecting my scan tool numbers??

·
Registered
4,650 Posts
I would try swapping in a new/good FCA on the Cp3

Also, Cummins says to replace the tubes everytime they are removed..........necessary? No, some never replace them

Are you sure the tubes are torqued properly?

·
Registered
4,650 Posts
Is the truck smoking at all?

Did you double check ALL the grounds after the motor was reinstalled?

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I fawking hate it when I find a thread that pertaines to what I'm looking for and theres no resolution. So....

Out of desperation, I borrowed another truck and parked it next to it and started changing parts. The gawddamn "known good" fuel pressure sensor was junk. I borrowed it from a friends diesel shop, appearently it got swapped out at some point and he didnt recall that.

Thats that. Thanks for any and all help!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts