Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello fellow enthusiasts and cruiser heads alike!

The other night I was restless and picked up a pen and note pad and decided to design my own back bumper with swinging hinge spare tire carrier for my 73 fj40. It’s a fairly simple design and its one I would like to be able to modify over time as I find that I might like another arm mounted on the other side to hold jerry cans and/or a high lift jack. You know, the essentials. This list could go on with inter changeable arms for a swinging bike rack or cooler rack.

A rough draft diagram picture is displayed on my site below

http://www.geocities.com/captahab18/1973fj40.htm

Again it is a very rough draft of the general idea/look of the bumper. I know it could use loads of improvement. I am still not really happy with the gate rod mechanism that will hold the hinged tire arm in place.

There are a few issues I have yet to over come before I can build this bad boy.

1st I have never welded but I am very keen to learn. I have heard its as easy as using a hot glue gun.

2nd I am unsure of the dimensions of the metal I should use. I have not yet determined what would give me the strength I am looking for either the main bumper bar or arms. Also I don’t know where the hell I can find the type of hinge I want. Will likely have to make it.

3rd How to bolt the bastard on? I know I couldn’t get my hands inside the main bar so I am so far having terrible ideas like cutting slits in the bottom just big enough for a couple of fingers holding a nut to slide in. Structurally this might weaken the main bar but then again it is pure steel. Similar problem faced with bolting the lights on.

I do not plan to do any towing with it but I think I would like to have some of those "pull my ass out of whatever im stuck in hooks." So i realize it will need to be pretty solid and well mounted. I dont know I need to think on it some more.

My goal for this bumper just for now is to hold up to a 33inch tire if necessary. And still give me access to the free ambulance door without having to swing open the tire. Any comments/ feed back would be great!

Thanks,

-Capt Ahab

Try not to make too much fun of me.

·
Registered
141 Posts
suggestions

Think vibrations, heavy tires, unexpected bumps, and jerks and pulls from all angles. Check out 4x4 labs, he sells some nice spindles for the tire/gas can holder to swing on. I know there are some nice latches out there too, can't remember where. As for welding: get it tacked together then take it to someone who knows what they are doing unless you really feel confident in your skill. Saw a guy looking for his alloy wheel and 37" mudder that busted off of his home made bumper rack, OOPS! Don't be afraid to do as much as you can yourself, you'll at least gain an appreciation for all of these guys who do an awesome job of design and fab.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the feedback Kief!

4x4 Labs looked like they make some really solid gear.

I think that using this home brew hairbrain bumper idea of mine for any means of pulling, towing, or using it to mount hooks on is probably not a great idea at this point. I would just be content with a soild tire carrier for the moment.

I have put some thought into vibrations and all the crazy jyrations. Hence me scraping the idea for the arm holding tire to come off the hinge at a 65 degree angle. I was really baffled on how to secure that. Thats why ive stuck with a very basic ninty degree arm that ive seen on other designs.

I've updated my design drafts of the bumper. Please take a look at them here http://www.geocities.com/captahab18/1973fj40.htm
and come back to comment!

-Ahab

1 - 3 of 3 Posts